Scholar Profiles - Aaliyah Haney

Name: Aaliyah Haney

Classification: Sophomore

Major: Special Education

Hometown: Lugoff, South Carolina

Primary Volunteering Site: Gold Hill Elementary School

Why did you choose to apply to the Close Scholars program? 

I chose to apply to the Close Scholars program because I wanted to serve the people and places in my community. 

What do you look forward to as a part of the Close Scholars program?

In the Close Scholars program, I look forward to being a part of a team that is intentional about being a light to the people they interact with.

Why is being a servant leader important to you, and why should it be important to others? 

Being a servant leader is important to me because I know that one person can impact the world. It should be important to others because serving is about connecting with the people around you.

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

In five years, I see myself teaching in a self-contained Special Education classroom at an elementary school in South Carolina.

What is your favorite thing to do on campus or in the surrounding areas? 

On campus, my favorite thing to do is be outside with friends. In the surrounding areas, I like to visit Anne Springs Close Greenway and kayak.

Where is your favorite place to travel to and why, and where would you like to travel to and why? 

My favorite place to travel to is Hilton Head Island because my family goes every summer. I would like to travel to South America because I love the Spanish language and culture.

Fun fact? 

A fun fact about me is I traveled overseas to Africa and China with my family.