Scholar Profiles - Avery Childs

Name: Avery Childs

Classification: Junior

Major: Business Marketing

Hometown: Fort Mill, South Carolina

Primary Volunteering Site: Legacy Baseball 

How has being a Close Scholar impacted your college experience? 

Being a Close Scholar has impacted my college experience by allowing me to become more connected to my community, and develop relationships with people in Rock Hill and surrounding areas. 

What has been your favorite community service experience and why? 

My favorite community service experience so far is being a volunteer coach for an 8U travel team. My life has revolved around baseball since I was a kid and to be able to coach a very enthusiastic and fun group has been a great experience. 

What advice would you give to incoming students interested in serving our community? 

Whatever your interests may be, find a way to volunteer in that field. Being able to not only enjoy, but relate to your service adds a whole new layer to service. 

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

I would like to be involved in sports marketing in the next five years. 

What is your favorite thing to do on campus or in the surrounding areas? 

My favorite thing to do away from school is golf in the surrounding area. 

Where is your favorite place to travel to and why, or where would you like to travel to and why? 

My favorite place to travel is New York because there is always so much to do. I would love to travel to Italy at some point in my life because of the food and beautiful scenery. 

Fun fact? 

I graduated from high school in the Winthrop Coliseum, making my transition from high school to college feel seamless.