Scholar Profiles - Lauren Patterson

Name: Lauren Patterson

Classification: Graduate

Major: Biology

Hometown: Greenville, South Carolina

Primary Volunteering Site: Adult Enrichment Center

What makes the Close Scholars Program special to you?

The Close Scholars Program is special to me because it has allowed me to meet many new, like-minded people that value service and leadership. It has also given me many service opportunities that I wouldn’t have known about otherwise, and I have been able to expand on my personal skills, which will help in the workforce.

What do you love about the Close Scholars Program?

I love being able to serve in the Rock Hill community and meeting new people, something that I would have had a difficult time doing without the Close Scholars Program.

Why should incoming first-year students apply to the Close Scholars Program?

Being a member of the Close Scholars comes with many benefits. Not only will you receive a scholarship to help with the cost of school, you’ll also be able to participate in personal growth activities, such as financial and credit advice, applying to graduate school, and learning about your own personality and how you work best. You’ll also be able to meet like-minded individuals and improve your skills by volunteering at local organizations.

As a servant leader, what advice do you have for Winthrop students in general?

Time management is crucial for everything. In order to be a successful Close Scholar or student in general, you need to be able to plan out your time efficiently to get everything done.

What has been your favorite community service experience?

My favorite community service experience has been my time at the Enrichment Center. I love getting to know all of the clients and participating in activities with them, like the Christmas parade and Halloween costume party. Being able to help lead in group work, such as sign language classes and daily exercise, has also made me feel more confident in my own leadership abilities. They are all incredible people and I’ve made some great friends there.

Fun Fact :-)

I love animals, and I have two pets: a cat and a dog.

Favorite Book

My favorite book is “A Thousand Splendid Suns” by Khaled Hosseini.

Favorite Performer

My favorite performer is Doja Cat.

Favorite Hobby

My favorite hobby is playing video games.