Scholar Profiles - Sarah Massey

Name: Sarah Massey

Classification: Graduate

Major: Special Education

Hometown: North Augusta, South Carolina

Primary Volunteering Site: Fort Mill School District

How has being a Close Scholar impacted your college experience? 

Being a Close Scholar has given me opportunities I never would have had if I hadn’t been in the program. For example, I became a lot more familiar with York county and surrounding areas because I was helping out the community. I also was able to travel to another country, which I could have only ever dreamed of being able to do. It also gave me a community and friendships I will have forever! 

What has been your favorite community service experience and why? 

My freshman year I attended a group volunteering experience with everyone in Close Scholars as we cleaned up the Winthrop Garden. It was so much fun learning about the different plants and beginning the planting process. 

What advice would you give to incoming students interested in serving our community? 

Find someone to go with you! It makes it so much fun to have someone there with you and with a different background and culture-- you can learn so much from them! 

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

In five years I see myself being a wife and maybe a mother, starting my Ph.D. program, and living in a new city! 

What is your favorite thing to do on campus or in the surrounding areas? 

I love to get 50 cent tacos from Las Americas Supermarket on Tuesdays with my friends! 

What is your favorite place to travel to and why? 

I was able to visit Greece last year through the Close Scholars program and that will ALWAYS be my favorite place to visit. It was the most amazing country and experience I have ever had! 

Fun fact? 

I have a cat named Delilah who lives with me!