Scholar Profiles - Sophia Thomas

Name: Sophie Thomas

Classification: Junior

Major: Environmental Studies 

Hometown: Summerville, South Carolina

Primary Volunteering Site: Anne Springs Close Greenway and Girls on the Run

How has being a Close Scholar impacted your college experience? 

Working to achieve my 120 service hours has caused me to be much more involved in the community and has allowed me to form connections with wonderful people working to help causes I am passionate about.

What has been your favorite community service experience and why? 

Being a coach for Girls on the Run has been an extremely enriching experience. I ran track and cross country in high school and I am able to translate some of that knowledge to the young girls I coach. I worked as a camp counselor this past summer and I truly believe that has allowed me to come back this year as a stronger coach. I absolutely adore the process of watching the girls improve, encourage each other, and make connections over the course of the season.

What advice would you give to incoming students interested in serving our community? 

Sometimes, it can be difficult to find places to serve depending on what branch of service you are interested in. Eagle Impact can be helpful to find service, specifically on campus, but most of the other sites I visit require a separate vetting process to qualify as a volunteer. My biggest recommendation is to do as much research as possible before heading into the semester.

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

After graduating, it is my goal to see and experience as much as possible. I will seek out seasonal jobs that allow me to work in outdoor recreation and move around between seasons as to allow me to soak up as much natural beauty as possible.

What is your favorite thing to do on campus or in the surrounding areas? 

I am currently working to enact the rock climbing club and enjoy my time at the wall. I also spend a great deal of time hiking the trails at the Greenway.

Where is your favorite place to travel to and why, and where would you like to travel to and why? 

My favorite place I've been to is Switzerland in summer of 2022. I feel most at home in the mountains and was astounded every day I was there. As for future travel, I have been looking into the possibility of studying abroad in Australia and it is also my eventual goal to visit every national park.

Fun fact?

I have dual citizenship in Luxembourg!