Scholar Profiles - Victoria Williams

Name: Victoria Williams

Classification: Junior

Major: Biology

Hometown: Columbia, South Carolina

Primary Volunteering Site: Manna House Food Pantry

How has being a Close Scholar impacted your college experience?

My time as a Close Scholar impacted my college experience greatly! I have been able to work with individuals who are dedicated to serving the community, and are willing to collaborate and help each other grow as individuals.

What has been your favorite community service experience and why?

My favorite community service experience would be the NAMI Mental Health Walk that a group of Close Scholars volunteered at. It was earlier in the Fall semester of my freshman year so it was a great bonding experience between my fellow Close Scholars!

What advice would you give to incoming students interested in serving our community?

I think that often people view community service as something that is part of a checklist, as it is mandatory for some organizations or something to complete for a resume. I think that community service is best completed when the desire to do so is genuine, and with the mindset of servant leadership. Also, when beginning to get involved in the community do not be afraid to try multiple different experiences until you find your niche. There are opportunities to serve for everyone!

Where do you see yourself in five years?

In five years, hopefully I have been accepted to medical school and I am continuing my journey to become a pediatrician!

What is your favorite thing to do on campus or in the surrounding areas?

My favorite thing to do is campus is to have "family dinner" with my friends! Either in Thomson or Markley's.

Where would you like to travel to and why?

I would like to travel to Aruba or Bora Bora just because I think these places are really beautiful and I love tropical weather!

Fun fact?

My favorite ice cream flavor is Mint Chocolate Chip, especially from TCBY!