Master of Education in Counseling and Development

Mission Statement

The mission of the Counseling and Development program is to provide a rigorous, engaging, and transformational experience for skilled and adept counselors-in-training. Faculty work tenaciously to build culturally sensitive, strong, and supportive relationships with students in order to facilitate and a developmental, integrative, experiential and strengths-based curriculum. The program strives to develop and foster ethical, culturally responsive, and professional counselors who are leaders, consultants, advocates, collaborators, and change agents in their respective settings.

Program Objectives

Develop awareness and understanding of cultural diversity: Enable students to critically examine their own cultural biases, develop cultural competence, and understand how culture influences counseling practices, in line with the mission of building culturally responsive relationships with students.

CSDV 605 Diversity Issues in Counseling

CSDV 610A Practicum I

CSDV 610B Practicum II

CSDV 611 Internship I

CSDV 612 Internship II

Enhance knowledge and application of evidence-based counseling theories and techniques: Provide students with a strong foundation in counseling theories and assist them in applying these theories effectively in diverse counseling settings, aligned with the mission of providing a rigorous and transformational experience for skilled and adept counselors.

CSDV 601 Counseling Theories

CSDV 623 Advanced Counseling Interventions

CSDV 606 Group Counseling

CSDV 617 Family Counseling

CSDV 622 Child and Adolescent Counseling

CSDV 618 Addictions Counseling

CSDV 603 CAreer & Lifestyle Development

CSDV 610A Practicum I

CSDV 610B Practicum II

CSDV 611 Internship I

CSDV 612 Internship II

Foster ethical and professional conduct: Instill ethical principles and professional standards in students to ensure responsible and culturally sensitive counseling practices, in accordance with the mission of developing ethical professional counselors.

CSDV 604 Foundations & Ethical Issues in CMH Counseling

CSDV 613 Foundations & Ethical Issues in School Counseling

CSDV 610A Practicum I

CSDV 610B Practicum II

CSDV 611 Internship I

CSDV 612 Internship II

Promote self-reflection and personal growth: Encourage students to engage in self-reflection, personal exploration, and self-care practices to enhance their own well-being and ensure their effectiveness as counselors, supporting the mission of fostering supportive relationships with students.

CSDV 602 Counseling Skills

CSDV 610A Practicum I

CSDV 610B Practicum II

CSDV 611 Internship I

CSDV 612 Internship II

Develop counseling skills and techniques: Provide opportunities for students to develop and sharpen their counseling skills through supervised practice, role-playing, and practical experiences with diverse populations, aligning with the mission of providing an experiential and strength-based curriculum.

CSDV 602 Counseling Skills

CSDV 606 Group Counseling

CSDV 608 Loss, Grief & Crisis Counseling

CSDV 605 Diversity Issues in Counseling

CSDV 621 Diagnosis and Treatment Planning in Counseling

CSDV 610A Practicum I

CSDV 610B Practicum II

CSDV 611 Internship I

CSDV 612 Internship II

Foster collaboration and cultural responsiveness: Cultivate collaborative skills and teach students how to engage in effective communication and collaboration with individuals from different cultural backgrounds and perspectives, in line with the mission of building supportive relationships and being change agents.

CSDV 605 Diversity Issues in Counseling

CSDV 610A Practicum I

CSDV 610B Practicum II

CSDV 611 Internship I

CSDV 612 Internship II

Promote advocacy and social justice: Enable students to become advocates for their clients and contribute to social justice initiatives by addressing systemic barriers, promoting inclusivity, and challenging social inequalities, in accordance with the mission of training counselors to be advocates and change agents.

CSDV 610  Practicum I

CSDV 610B Practicum II

CSDV 611 Internship I

CSDV 612 Internship II

Enhance research and assessment skills: Equip students with the necessary skills to critically evaluate research, conduct sound assessments, and utilize data to inform counseling practice and program evaluation, aligning with the mission of providing a rigorous and developmental curriculum.

CSDV 607 Appraisal in Counseling

EDCI 640 Educational Research, Design, & Analysis

CSDV 610A Practicum I

CSDV 610B Practicum II

CSDV 611 Internship I

CSDV 612 Internship II

Provide practical experience and supervised internships: Provide opportunities for students to gain practical experience in diverse counseling settings under the supervision of experienced professionals to enhance their clinical skills and competence, supporting the mission of providing a transformational experience.

CSDV 610A Practicum I

CSDV 610B Practicum II

CSDV 611 Internship I

CSDV 612 Internship II

Develop professional identity and leadership skills: Assist students in developing a strong professional identity, fostering leadership skills, and preparing them to contribute to the field of counseling through research, teaching, and other professional endeavors in alignment with the mission of developing counselors who are leaders, consultants, advocates, collaborators, and change agents.

CSDV 615S School Program Planning, Consultation, and Supervision

CSDV 615C CMHC Program Planning, Consultation, and Supervision

CSDV 610A Practicum I

CSDV 610B Practicum II

CSDV 611 Internship I

CSDV 612 Internship II

Diversity Recruitment Policy Statement

In keeping with the mission of the Counseling and Development program, the counseling faculty believe that all students who are recruited and/or apply for admission to the Counseling and Development program should have access to modes of instruction that are compatible with their learning styles, life experiences, and employment commitments.

The counseling faculty are obligated to make special efforts to include a diverse group of learners who desire to become professional counselors. The faculty believe that the diversity of faculty, staff, and students enrich the profession and the learning process for all students.

The counseling faculty believe that the counseling program must prepare its graduates with the competencies needed to effectively support the diverse needs of the clients they will serve.