Boyd to Step Away From Provost Duties; Will Return to Classroom

August 15, 2018

Quick Facts

bullet point Debra Boyd has announced she will step away as Winthrop University's provost and executive vice president for academic affairs, effective June 30, 2019.
bullet point Boyd will take a year-long sabbatical after which she will return as a professor in the English department.
bullet point A national search will be conducted for the next provost led by a committee including faculty, staff and student representatives.

/uploadedImages/news/Articles/DebraBoyd2014.gif

ROCK HILL, SOUTH CAROLINA - Debra Boyd has announced she will step away as Winthrop University's provost and executive vice president for academic affairs, effective June 30, 2019. She has led academics at Winthrop since 2011.

Boyd, who first came to Winthrop in 1984 and has served in a wide range of administrative roles since 1987, will take a year-long sabbatical after which she will return as a professor in the English department.

"During her service to Winthrop as provost, Debra Boyd has played a critical role in continuing to move Winthrop University forward in many ways, while always remaining focused on our students and developing them into engaged citizens and leaders in their professions," said Winthrop University President Dan Mahony. "Her wisdom and strong leadership have been incredibly valuable to me and all of those who have had the privilege to work with her."

While serving as provost, Boyd also led Winthrop for a year as its acting president from 2014 to 2015.

"The Board of Trustees worked closely with Debra during her year as acting president, and we benefited greatly from her steady leadership and institutional knowledge," said Board of Trustees Chairman Glenn McCall.

In a resolution thanking her for her service as acting president, the board noted that Boyd "provided outstanding leadership and guidance to her colleagues while being mindful of the fiscal responsibilities of the university, and worked tirelessly to further the interests of the Winthrop community."

In her message to campus, Boyd expressed her deep appreciation for being part of the campus community.

"Please allow me a moment to thank everyone on campusand many in the Rock Hill community and beyondfor making my work so rewarding," said Boyd. "Over the years, I have had the pleasure and privilege to work with many of you as we joined forces to make Winthrop a great institution for all our students."

"I now have the rare opportunity and privilege to complete my Winthrop career where I began it in 1984 — in the classroom with Winthrop students."

A national search will be conducted for the next provost led by a committee including faculty, staff and student representatives.

[Back to Previous Page]

Button ArrowALL NEWS