Business Student Puts Her Passions to Work

September 27, 2018

Quick Facts

bullet point As a business administration major focusing on human resources, the skills required for the internship were right up her alley, especially considering her undergraduate degree is in sociology.

/uploadedImages/news/Articles/mikhaelakelson.jpg

ROCK HILL, SOUTH CAROLINA - Mikhaela Kelson likes two things: problem-solving and helping people.

The Winthrop University graduate student combined the two for her recent internship with Savannah River Remediation (SRR), a liquid waste contractor at the Savannah River site in Aiken, South Carolina. The U.S. Department of Energy owns the company.

"I've always heard things about Savannah River Site because some of my friends and family are from the area," said Kelson, a Boiling Springs resident. "So I searched to see what opportunities they were offering."

She found an internship in labor relations. As a business administration major focusing on human resources, the skills required for the internship were right up her alley, especially considering her undergraduate degree is in sociology.

"During my internship, I dealt with the onboarding process for SRR's construction employees: calling to set up medical appointments, putting in badge requests, scheduling for general employee training, I-9 verifications and new hire orientation," Kelson said.

Kelson had previously worked for the Dish Network manufacturing plant, where she noticed how the human resources division serves as a bridge between employees in the field and behind-the-scenes employees.

"I was able to use so much of the knowledge I learned my first year at Winthrop in a professional setting," she said. "The opportunity made me more focused and motivated to come back this fall and finish strong."

For a complete listing of master's business administration specialties Winthrop offers, visit the College of Business Administration website.

For more information on Kelson and her internship, contact Nicole Chisari, communications coordinator, at 803/323-2236 or chisarin@winthrop.edu.

[Back to Previous Page]

Button ArrowALL NEWS