Business Students Selected as Top Team at Healthcare Competition

November 04, 2022

HIGHLIGHTS

• The four-student team beat out 10 other teams, including other finalists Auburn, Penn State and Central Michigan, in this second annual undergraduate event on Oct. 21.
  • Winthrop team members were: seniors Trey Wineglass and Emily Puryear and juniors Morgan Moore and Ryan Carr.

ROCK HILL, SOUTH CAROLINA – A Winthrop University team captured the top spot at a recent healthcare management competition held at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston.

The four-student team beat out 10 other teams, including other finalists Auburn, Penn State and Central Michigan, in this second annual undergraduate event on Oct. 21.

Each of the teams had three weeks to prepare for the case study, which involved developing a program to improve patient engagement and reduce hospital acquired infections.

Once the teams arrived at MUSC, they had 15 minutes to present their case analysis and proposal to a panel of judges, followed by questions from the judges. The groups were graded on their oral communication and presentations skills with the four teams with the highest point total moving to the final round. Each then presented to a different set of judges.

Winthrop team members were: seniors Trey Wineglass and Emily Puryear and juniors Morgan Moore and Ryan Carr.

Faculty members were immensely proud of their students’ performance. Joanna R. Jackson, an assistant professor of healthcare management, traveled with the students to the event, along with Assistant Professor Larry Stevens. The two, along with Professor Mike Matthews, prepped the students in the weeks beforehand.

“Our students practiced from 6 to 10 p.m. nightly, practiced the entire car ride to Charleston, and then late into the night the evening of the competition,” Jackson said. “Additionally, they overcame technical difficulties with sound and internet connection and handled it with ease.”

The group quickly assimilated as a team, problem solved, showed critical thinking skills and communicated their plan effectively, said Matthews. “It does speak to the personal attention students get at a smaller program like Winthrop and the professional development they are afforded at Winthrop compared to other colleges,” he added.

Team member Emily Puryear said the experience involved a lot of late nights and hard work, but through the experience, she gained the skill of presenting confidently and learned how to organize a presentation in a short amount of time.

“What will stick with me most is the technique of targeting a presentation towards the intended audience, not just answering the questions that you are researching,” Puryear said. “I am so grateful to have been a part of this team and will remember this experience as my professional career continues.”

Her teammate, Trey Wineglass, added: “Overall, this has been an amazing experience. Being on the case competition team, I have been able to learn so much in a short period from our team coaches and my teammates. I have been able to enhance my research, presentation and problem-solving skills. It was a lot of work and many challenges; however, I would do it again. This experience is one I will never forget!”

The Eagles brought home a check for $1,000 for their efforts. Organizers held the first competition in 2019 and, from this point on, hope to make it an annual event.

For more information, contact Judy Longshaw, news and media services manager, at longshawj@winthrop.edu or at 803/323-2404.

Button ArrowALL NEWS