Charles Yearta Tapped as New Winthrop Police Chief

September 15, 2022

HIGHLIGHTS

• A 14-year veteran with the Winthrop University Police Department, Yearta earned a bachelor's degree in sociology and a minor in political science from Winthrop.
  • While at Winthrop, he has continually introduced new skills, training and technology into the Winthrop University Police Department in order to increase patrol visibility, enhance community collaboration and maintain a safe campus environment.

ROCK HILL, SOUTH CAROLINA – Winthrop University has promoted Interim Chief of Police Charles S. Yearta ‘05 to become its next chief of police. His official start date is Sept. 16.

A 14-year veteran with the Winthrop University Police Department, Yearta earned a bachelor's degree in sociology and a minor in political science from Winthrop. He holds a master’s degree from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and is currently completing his doctorate degree there in educational leadership.

Yearta has received numerous accolades in the field of law enforcement, including completing the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Command College executive leadership training program and the FBI-LEEDA Trilogy Series in leadership.

While at Winthrop, he has continually introduced new skills, training and technology into the Winthrop University Police Department in order to increase patrol visibility, enhance community collaboration and maintain a safe campus environment.

Over the course of his career, Yearta has served in a variety of law enforcement positions, including as an agent of the York County Drug Enforcement Unit, a patrol sergeant, the lieutenant over investigations, and other leadership positions. 

Shelia Burkhalter, vice president for student affairs, said Yearta has been an innovative leader within the Winthrop University Police Department for many years by introducing new technologies, instituting creative solutions to staffing challenges and leveraging limited resources for maximum impact. “I believe that his innovative spirit coupled with a deep and abiding commitment to Winthrop University, community policing, and student success make him uniquely well-suited to serve as the new chief of police,” she said. 

Yearta said he is honored and proud to be selected to lead the Winthrop University Police Department as the next chief of police. “As an alumnus, Winthrop holds a special place for me and my family as it is where I have lived, where I have learned, and now, where I lead. I look forward to working for and with all areas of our campus community to provide a safe and secure environment,” he said.

For more information, contact Judy Longshaw, news and media services manager, at longshawj@winthrop.edu or at 803/323-2404.

Button ArrowALL NEWS