Delve Into the Factory With Theatre Production 'Slaughter City'

April 04, 2016

Quick Facts

bullet point Show times are 8 p.m. April 6-9 and 2 p.m. April 10.
bullet point Tickets are $8 with a Winthrop ID or $15 for the general public.

/uploadedImages/news/Articles/slaughtercityrelease.jpg

ROCK HILL, SOUTH CAROLINA — Issues of gender inequality in the workplace, institutionalized racism and class discrimination are at the forefront of "Slaughter City," the newest play featured at Winthrop University's Johnson Theatre, according to Laura Dougherty, assistant professor of theatre and director of "Slaughter City."

Set in a slaughter house, "Slaughter City" looks at the pressure and horrific working conditions of factory floor workers. Almost dream-like, the play focuses on labor - bodies in labor, its gritty realities and the sparks that ignite change. Kentucky playwright Naomi Wallace brings sharp insight, political anger, and cool, graceful and poetic language to bloody and tension-filled circumstances.

Erica Truesdale, a senior theatre major from Van Wyck, has been working her entire Winthrop career to embody a character like protagonist Roach, whom she relates to more than she expected.

"This role means a lot to me simply because I am able to combine who I am as a person along with who I become on stage as Roach, seeing as how we are both female and African-American," said Truesdale. "I find a sense of ease, grasping her language and understanding her background, which in turn allows me to explore her character even more without any inhibitions of me portraying her incorrectly."

Truesdale believes that her passion for the character will allow audiences to be immersed in the performance.

"Along with the help of my director and fellow cast members, I'm falling more and more in love with this show than ever before," Truesdale said. "I hope to see you all there to witness Roach, along with all of the other characters, come to life before your eyes."

As to why "Slaughter City" was ideal for the Winthrop stage, Dougherty felt the play was perfectly suited for the current political climate.

"I wanted to open up our stage for our student artists and actors to explore this grisly, biting work, and to spotlight the stories of women, people of color and to explore issues of gender, sexuality, racial and economic disparity," Dougherty said.

Show times are 8 p.m. April 6-9 and 2 p.m. April 10. Tickets are $8 with a Winthrop ID and $15 for the general public. It is a cultural event.

Tickets can be purchased online or at the box office.

For more information, contact the Department of Theatre and Dance at 803/323-2287.

[Back to Previous Page]

Button ArrowALL NEWS