Dolores Vees Establishes Scholarship to Assist First-Generation Students

December 04, 2017

HIGHLIGHTS

• The scholarship will award annually to a first-generation student who is majoring in psychology or counseling and development at the graduate level. 
  • Vees, who retired as a counselor from the Rock Hill School District, now owns a private counseling practice in Rock Hill.

ROCK HILL, SOUTH CAROLINA – As a first-generation college student, Dolores Vees ’72 knows firsthand the importance of having invaluable support throughout college.

That is why she recently established the Dolores Vees Endowed Scholarship at Winthrop University. The scholarship will award annually to a first-generation student who is majoring in psychology or counseling and development at the graduate level. 

Vees, who retired as a counselor from the Rock Hill School District, now owns a private counseling practice in Rock Hill. “I’m committed to the counseling profession and I believe in the power of counselors to make a difference in someone’s life,” Vees said about establishing the scholarship. 

Vees said she was compelled to designate the scholarship for first-generation students after hearing representatives with the American Counseling Association talk about the importance of assisting first-generation college students. That notion was reinforced after reading U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s book, “My Beloved World.” “Justice Sotomayor talked at length in her book about being a first-generation college student and the importance of mentors in her journey.”

The Atlanta, Georgia, native earned her undergraduate degree in psychology from Emory University and received her master’s degree in counseling from Winthrop. 

“I’ve always been drawn to students who had strong potential but just needed guidance and mentoring,” said Vees. “This scholarship will support students, who like I did, need a little extra boost of support.”

Button ArrowALL NEWS