Jamie Cooper Named Vice Provost for Student Success and Dean of University College

February 24, 2020

HIGHLIGHTS

• Jamie Cooper will begin his new duties April 6. 
  • In his new role, Cooper will help lead initiatives and coordinate operations geared toward increasing retention and graduation rates as well as oversee University College, which houses academic success programs such as the International Center and the Academic Success Center.

ROCK HILL, SOUTH CAROLINA – Winthrop University has named Jamie Cooper as its vice provost for student success and dean of University College. Cooper will begin his duties on April 6. 

“I’m very excited to be joining University College and Provost Adrienne McCormick’s leadership team,” Cooper said. “Throughout the search process I was consistently impressed with the students, staff and faculty I met and felt a strong alignment with Winthrop's focus on promoting student success through collaboration. This is a dynamic time to be joining the institution, and I look forward to working with colleagues across the university to build upon Winthrop’s impressive history of supporting the success of its achievement-oriented, culturally diverse and socially responsible student community.” 

In his new role, Cooper will help lead initiatives and coordinate operations geared toward increasing retention and graduation rates as well as oversee University College, which houses academic success programs such as the International Center and the Academic Success Center. 

Cooper comes to Winthrop from Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), where he currently serves as the assistant vice provost for academic programs. 

“I am thrilled to welcome Jamie Cooper to the leadership team in Academic Affairs,” said Provost McCormick. “He has many years of experience collaborating across divisions and using data effectively to strengthen student success and retention initiatives. We were fortunate to have such a strong pool of applicants, and based on the campus feedback I received after Dr. Cooper's visit, I know he will hit the ground running as we continue our work to strengthen student learning experiences at Winthrop.” 

Prior to his role at VCU, Cooper held the position of associate vice president for student and academic support services at The Evergreen State College; various associate dean and assistant dean roles at George Mason University; and appointments at universities in the south. 

He holds a Ph.D. and master’s degree in developmental psychology from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, and a master’s degree in educational psychology and counselor education and bachelor’s degree in psychology from Tennessee Technological University. 

The university conducted a national search for this vice provost position, choosing Cooper from a broad applicant pool that the search committee narrowed to four finalists. Each finalist interviewed on campus with the Winthrop community.  

For more information, contact Nicole Chisari, communications coordinator, at 803/323-2236 or chisarin@winthrop.edu.  

Button ArrowALL NEWS