Long-Time Employee Completes Winthrop Service After 52 Years

December 01, 2022

HIGHLIGHTS

• One of the first African-American professional staff members to be employed full time at Winthrop, Barber also is one of its longest-serving employees.
  • A retirement reception for Barber will be held on Monday, Dec. 5 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Tuttle Dining Room adjoining McBryde Hall. President Edward Serna ’02 will present her with a resolution.

ROCK HILL, SOUTH CAROLINA – The close of 2022 will bring about the end of Dorothy Barber’s dedicated employment at Winthrop University after 52 years.

The Rock Hill native joined the Ida Jane Dacus Library staff in 1970 as a clerk typist and over the years has held various positions in accounting, technical services, and her most recent position as executive support specialist for the dean. One of the first African-American professional staff members to be employed full time at Winthrop, Barber also is one of its longest-serving employees.

A retirement reception for Barber will be held on Monday, Dec. 5 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Tuttle Dining Room adjoining McBryde Hall.

Gina Price White ’83, director of archives and special collections, said Barber is one of the nicest and most capable people she has ever known. “Dot has always easily adapted to the changing higher education landscape, embraced the challenges of ever-evolving technology and has kept things running smoothly throughout,” White said. “She is the last person on campus with whom I have worked my entire career, including as a student employee in the Archives. I can’t imagine the campus without her. I thank Dot for her expertise, her ‘keep calm and carry on’ attitude, and her delightful and enduring friendship.”

Barber earned respect from her co-workers not only for her courteous and caring demeanor, but also for her role in hiring and interviewing Dacus Library student employees through the years.

One of those was Archivist Brittany Pigford ’99, who has always called Barber “Miss Dot.”

“She hired me to work in Dacus for the circulation department when I was 17. She was, and always has been, kind, loving and helpful,” Pigford said. “When I was in college she was one of several Dacus stand-in moms for me. When I think back on it, by hiring me she changed the course of my life. She holds a special place in my heart.”

Barber officially retired in 2008 but has stayed on as a temporary employee. The Winthrop Board of Trustees honored her in November 2020 with a resolution honoring her golden work anniversary.

Library Dean Kaetrena Davis Kendrick ’95 said she didn’t meet Barber until she arrived back on campus in 2020 in her current role. “Her efforts to make me feel welcome – from her warm smile and sage insight to her deep knowledge of Dacus and Pettus’ facilities, operations, and people – have been a constant bright spot and grounding space,” Kendrick said. “I also am deeply grateful for her courage and perseverance during her significant years of service to Winthrop, as they also serve as an enduring beacon of grace for our entire campus community.”

During her early years, Barber acted as a mentor not only for the African-American students hired by the library, but also for any student who needed a sympathetic ear, especially in the early days of integration on the Winthrop campus when faces of color were not often seen among the faculty and staff.

Barber has been a notable mainstay in the library over the years, working with scores of library professionals and gaining a reputation as someone who got along with everyone and was active with her family, her church and her community.

For more information, contact Judy Longshaw, news and media services manager, at longshawj@winthrop.edu.

Button ArrowALL NEWS