New Winthrop Council of Student Leaders Named

May 11, 2020

HIGHLIGHTS

• The duo won in the recent election with more than 50 percent of the vote, defeating two other pairs, with their “Better Together” campaign.

ROCK HILL, SOUTH CAROLINA – Winthrop University’s Council of Student Leaders (CSL) has new leadership set for the 2020-21 academic year: Brandon Jackson, chair, and Ravyn Cunningham, vice chair. 

The duo won in the recent election with more than 50 percent of the vote, defeating two other pairs, with their “Better Together” campaign. 

But unlike in previous years, this year’s campaigning was much different due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Instead of in-person town halls, meet-and greets in the DiGiorgio Campus Center and campaign tables along Scholars Walk, all candidates had to earn their peers’ trust virtually. 

“Campaigning virtually was not challenging in the sense that social media was new to us; campaigning virtually was challenging because it was the only means of campaigning,” said Jackson, a business administration major from Columbia, South Carolina. “COVID-19 forced us to become creative about how we reached and engaged with our student body. We had a lot of support from fellow Eagles, which made it easier to spread the campaign, and none of this would be possible without them!” 

They relied heavily on social media and created an Instagram page for their campaign, where they posted a funny TikTok video, videos with personal messages and multiple photos that emphasized “Better Together.” 

With the “Better Together” campaign, they hope to accomplish more unity within the Winthrop campus community. 

“As students, we are better together; therefore, we must begin to unite and use our voices to our advantage,” said Cunningham, a political science major, also from Columbia. “We plan to implement and execute more active programming with CSL; increase the visibility and presence of CSL; and create stronger relationships with our students to the point where we are truly getting a better feel for the thoughts and needs of our students.” 

About Jackson: 

Jackson has been involved with CSL since his freshman year, most recently as vice chair. He’s served as a resident assistant and vice president of order and tradition for the Resident Students’ Association. 

“I have an insatiable desire to serve Winthrop well to the best of my abilities,” he said. “I believe the role of our student government is to work for the students we serve. I ran because I wanted to continue serving Winthrop. 

“Winthrop has given so much to me and the best way to give back to our university is to serve our community by being the voice and advocate for the community!” 

About Cunningham: 

Cunningham has served in leadership roles with the Think College program, Resident Students' Association, the Vision of Prayze Gospel Choir and the National Residence Hall Honorary. Outside of campus, she’s volunteered with the Anne Springs Close Greenway, the Boys and Girls Club of York County and the Family Promise of York County Donation Drive. 

“Throughout my years I have interacted with many students, and it has been enlightening to see how each student fits into the Winthrop community,” she said. “Within our community, there is a distinct level of diversity. Each voice matters,  and I believe that we are truly better together.” 

For more information on CSL, visit the website at www.winthrop.edu/csl.

Button ArrowALL NEWS