Winthrop University: News & Events - Newlyweds and Parents Inspire Each Other in Comedy "Things My Mother Taught Me"

May 22, 2018

Quick Facts

bullet point "Things My Mother Taught Me," by Katherine DiSavino, tells the story of the duo, moving in together halfway across the country from their parents.
bullet point The production runs Wednesday, Sept. 28 through Saturday, Oct. 1 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 2 at 2 p.m. in the Johnson Studio Theatre at Winthrop University.

/uploadedImages/news/Articles/Things-My-Mother-Taught-ME1.gif

ROCK HILL, SOUTH CAROLINA — Newlyweds expect to encounter some challenges when beginning their lives together, and for Gabe and Olivia, their experience is no different.

"Things My Mother Taught Me," by Katherine DiSavino, tells the story of the duo, moving in together halfway across the country from their parents. However, moving day doesn't go as planned when their parents show up to help them, complicating things for everyone. This romantic comedy looks at relationships and how parents unknowingly pass down lessons to their children.

Senior Emily Gill (Greenville) portrays Olivia and believes that even the audience can learn from the play. "One lesson is that things always work out in the end, maybe not in the way you expect, but they do work out," Gill said. "Another lesson is the importance of family. Families can be confusing and aggravating but at the end of the day, the families in the show are there for each other both in the big and small moments."

This play features mild adult themes and languages. "Things My Mother Taught Me" runs Wednesday, Sept. 28 through Saturday, Oct. 1 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 2 at 2 p.m. in the Johnson Studio Theatre at Winthrop University. Tickets are available online or at the door for $5 with Winthrop ID or $10 for the general public Wednesday and Thursday, and $8 with Winthrop ID or $15 for the general public Friday through Sunday.

For more information, contact Whitney Hough, director of communications and community engagement for the College of Visual and Performing Arts, at 803/323-2399 or houghw@winthrop.edu, or visit the website at www.winthrop.edu/arts.

[Back to Previous Page]

Button ArrowALL NEWS