West Virginia University Selects President Dan Mahony for its Hall of Fame

November 06, 2017

Quick Facts

bullet point The Hall of Fame honors WVU graduates with meritorious service in an academic discipline, coaching profession, athletic administration or in athletic training.
bullet point Mahony, who earned a master's degree in sport management from WVU in 1990, was one of five selected for this honor.

/uploadedImages/news/Articles/President-Mahony-Headshot.jpg

MORGANTOWN, WEST VIRGINIA West Virginia University's College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences recently named Winthrop University President Dan Mahony to its 2017-18 Hall of Fame class.

The Hall of Fame honors WVU graduates with meritorious service in an academic discipline, coaching profession, athletic administration or in athletic training. Mahony, who earned a master's degree in sport management from WVU in 1990, was one of five selected for this honor. He was introduced at the Oct. 20 induction ceremony by Dallas Branch, long-time sport management program director at WVU.

"When I look at the very deserving alumni included in the college's Hall of Fame, I'm humbled and honored that the selection committee would think of me," Mahony said. "I loved my time as a graduate student at WVU and my experiences with the faculty there changed my life. I truly appreciate the impact of my time there and this honor."

The committee noted Mahony's extensive contributions to the field, including:

*Earning a Ph.D. in sport management from Ohio State University;

*Serving seven years as dean of the College of Education, Health, and Human Services and professor of sport management at Kent State University;

*Serving 13 years as a faculty member and administrator at the University of Louisville; his positions there included sport administration program director, department chair, associate dean, assistant provost and associate provost;

*Publishing more than 60 articles in various refereed journals, several book chapters and one book;

*Receiving the 2007 Earle F. Zeigler Award from the North American Society for Sport Management for his research contributions to the field;

*Receiving the American Association of University Administrators' 2015 McInnis/Ryan Award for his principled and ethical leadership practices and scholarship regarding justice and ethics issues; and

*Receiving the inaugural Daniel Mahony Award for Social Responsibility from the Office of Diversity Outreach and Development in Kent State University's College of Education, Health and Human Services.

For more information, contact Nicole Chisari, communications coordinator, at 803/323-2236 or chisarin@winthrop.edu.

[Back to Previous Page]

Button ArrowALL NEWS