Winthrop Student Honored Nationally as Major of the Year in Physical Education

April 13, 2021

HIGHLIGHTS

• The award celebrates outstanding undergraduate students in the health, physical education, recreation and dance professions who are nominated by a faculty advisor or professor. 
  • Berry, of Rock Hill, will be recognized April 13 during the Opening General Session.

RESTON, VIRGINIA – SHAPE America–Society of Health and Physical Educators will honor Winthrop University senior Stephen Berry as a Major of the Year during the organization’s 135th National Convention & Expo, which will be held virtually from April 13-17.

The award celebrates outstanding undergraduate students in the health, physical education, recreation and dance professions who are nominated by a faculty advisor or professor. Berry, of Rock Hill, will be recognized April 13 during the Opening General Session.

“The outstanding achievements of future professionals like Stephen Berry is integral to the future of SHAPE America and our profession,” said SHAPE America President Brett Fuller of Milwaukee Public Schools.

Berry was nominated for this award, his professors said, because of his diligent efforts as a student and for the enthusiasm that he brings to the physical education classroom. Educators said he represents the characteristics that they want to see in the next generation of physical educators as they hope to grow to 50 million strong by 2029.

Berry said that being recognized as the SHAPE America PE Major of the Year is an incredible honor.  

“When I began as a PE major three years ago, I knew that I would enjoy the major and that I would work hard, but I would have never expected to receive any sort of recognition for my academic efforts,” he said. “As the semesters passed by, I continually grew in my understanding, conviction and excitement for the field.  I entered Winthrop interested in health and physical education, but I will be leaving as an advocate.”

Adam Keath, an assistant physical education professor at Winthrop, nominated Berry for the award. 

“Stephen has been a great part of our program, he has been a tremendous leader and advocate for physical education and helped to nurture a culture of caring in his student teaching placements,” Keath said. “Working with Stephen is a great reminder of the joy of movement that is so important for kids to learn, and it’s evident in his interactions with students that he has the character and drive to encourage students to enjoy physical activity for a lifetime.”

Berry will graduate in May with a B.S. in physical education.

SHAPE America – Society of Health and Physical Educators is the nation’s largest membership organization of health and physical education professionals. Founded in 1885, the organization provides programs, resources and advocacy to support health and physical educators at every level, from preschool to university graduate programs.

For more information, contact Joey Martelli at jmartelli@shapeamerica.org

Button ArrowALL NEWS