Winthrop Students Crown 2021 Homecoming King and Queen

November 17, 2021

HIGHLIGHTS

• Rachel Griffith is a mass communication and social work major; Bernard Hasan II is an international business major. Both are from Columbia.
  • The two were officially crowned at the Nov. 13 Homecoming men’s basketball game vs. the Mercer University Bears.

ROCK HILL, SOUTH CAROLINA—Winthrop University students have spoken – and chosen Bernard Hasan II and Rachel Griffith as the 2021 Homecoming King and Queen!

The two were officially crowned at the Nov. 13 Homecoming men’s basketball game vs. the Mercer University Bears.

About Rachel Griffith

Griffith is a mass communication and social work major from Columbia. She’s active in the Student Alumni Council and other student organizations including SOAR, A.Bevy, WU Vogue and the student chapter of the NAACP. She’s a member of the Alpha Kappa Psi national business fraternity and serves as a Resident Assistant in Margaret Nance.

Post-graduation, she hopes to put both of her majors to use – first as a social media manager for a sports team, and then in a role at a hospital.

“When they called my name, I was super shocked because, one, I was the only junior running for queen; and two, I was running against some awesome women who I thought had a better chance than me,” she said. “But I was also excited because all the hard work of campaigning I did for the week paid off. So I’m really honored!”

About Bernard Hasan II

Hasan is an international business major, also from Columbia. He is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. and the national business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi. He also serves on SHIELD (Students Helping Innovate and Educate Leadership Development), a student organization that helps mentor youth at Northwestern High School in Rock Hill.

His future career goals involve international marketing – ideally, traveling the world and learning about new cultures.

“It felt good to hear my name called, but more than the announcement, it felt better to see how happy my campus was for me and all the support I had during and after the voting ended,” Hasan said of his win.

Other Royalty Court members included: Isaac Smith, mass communication, Darlington; Christopher Boggs II, special education, Rock Hill; Danny Kilgore-Wilson, social studies education and history, Greenville; Nyssa Hemingway, political science, Atlanta, Georgia; Delmarie Wilson, psychology, Johnsonville; and Jaeden Choice, biology pre-med, Sumter.

Button ArrowALL NEWS