Student Spotlight: Kathy Champa

BPS student Kathy Champa

Name: Kathy Champa 

My concentration: Health Services  

About me: I am from Louisville, KY. I moved to the Carolinas in 1996 from Massachusetts and currently live in Fort Mill. I am married. I have three children, 6 grandchildren, and one great granddaughter.

Are you working/volunteering while taking classes? If so, where?

Currently I work part time at Atrium Healthcare in Charlotte, NC. I am a Certified Surgical Technologist and have been working for a hospital or doctor’s office in this capacity for 37 years.

Why did you choose Winthrop University? What attracted you to the B.P .S. program specifically?

Winthrop is where my daughter and her husband earned their Graduate Degrees. That is how I discovered that I loved the school and hoped to one day go there and complete my degree. I was told about the B.P.S. program by my counselor and was so excited to join a program that would help guide me to completing my Bachelor's Degree. I have not been disappointed.

Dr. Scott Amundsen is the B.P.S. Program Director and he has been very informative, approachable and answers e-mails promptly. Ms. Allison Brinkley is our Adult Student Outreach/Services Coordinator and she has been informative and always there to help in any way that she can. You will never feel like you are bothering these people because they truly love their jobs.

What has surprised you the most during your first semester in the program?

I am most surprised that everyone is so helpful and never makes you feel like you are a bother. It has helped me to gain confidence and because of their support I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, graduation!

What are your goals? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I see a Graduate Degree in my future.

What advice would you give to others who are considering applying to Winthrop University’s B.P.S. program?

I would encourage them to apply for the B.P.S. Program because it is made for the purpose of adults returning to complete their undergraduate degree! The staff at Winthrop have been helpful and always available to answer questions, so you will be able to find the best fit for your needs.