Homecoming and Reunion FAQs

Winthrop is excited to welcome alumni home and celebrate with our students with an on-campus Homecoming and Reunion experience. The FAQs below provide details on what to expect for the week and weekend events. Please check back for updates as we approach Homecoming and Reunion, Nov. 10-11, 2023.

What events/activities will be available for Winthrop students/alumni/fans?

There will be something for everyone with a mixture of virtual events and in-person activities on Winthrop's campus and in the surrounding Rock Hill community for alumni, students, and faculty/staff to enjoy! Please view the schedule of events to see what is happening each day. We will be making updates leading up to this year's Homecoming and Reunion celebration, so check back often. 

Where can I celebrate on Friday night? 

At the Homecoming Happy Hour at Slow Play Brewing! Raise a glass to your Winthrop friends, grab some delicious grub from the Twisted Eats food truck. Twisted Eats will be there from 4-9 p.m., and the brewery will be open until 11 p.m.

Slow Play Brewing is owned by three Winthrop alumni - Ben Lee ’05, Matt Poston ’11 and Ron Fasick ’02. Mention you are an alumnus to get 15% off your bar tab.

Will there be Homecoming games in the Coliseum?

Yes! Winthrop Athletics has announced that the volleyball team and men's basketball team will host Homecoming games on Saturday, Nov. 11.

The volleyball team will host Gardner-Webb at 2 p.m. in the Winthrop Coliseum. Tailgating will be happening at this time, so attendees will pay $20 to park.

The men’s basketball team will host Drexel at 5:30 p.m.in the Winthrop Coliseum. Attendees arriving before 5 p.m. will pay $20 to park.

Homecoming game tickets go on sale Nov. 1. Visit Winthrop Athletics for updates.

Can alumni tailgate before the Homecoming games?

Yes! Tailgating will be held at the Winthrop Coliseum from 11 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 11. Tailgate spots are available for purchase beginning Thursday, Sept. 7. Visit the Homecoming Tailgate page for details.

Why do I have to pay to park and for a tailgate spot?

These fees help the university cover the cost of portable toilets, event staff, emergency medical personnel, etc., in order to provide the best possible Homecoming experience for all participants.

Can I get my tailgating fee back if it rains and I decide not to come?

No. Tailgating is rain or shine. Tailgating spots are prepaid, and refunds will not be issued.

Can I bring my grill to tailgate?

Grills and other food preparation equipment are not expressly prohibited by the tailgating policy. Any remnants of propellant, such as charcoal, must be extinguished and removed appropriately. Grills must fit into the tailgate spot purchased. Any grills that are towed in cannot remain attached to the vehicle during the event. If tailgating from your vehicle in the South Lot, only carried in or wheeled grilled are allowed and must fit directly behind the vehicle and out of the lanes of traffic.

Can I sell food or beverages at the event?

No, only approved food truck vendors and Sodexo, the university’s food service provider, will be able to sell food and beverages at the event.

Are alcohol and drugs prohibited at tailgating?

Illegal drugs are prohibited anywhere on the Winthrop campus. Winthrop University does not sanction the consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages by underage persons; nor does it sanction the violation of Federal, State or Local Law. Please review the Alcohol Beverage Policy in the Winthrop University Policy Repository.

I just want to go to the game; do I have to pay to park?

You will pay $20 to park if you plan to attend the 2 p.m. volleyball game. For the men's basketball game, you will pay $20 to park if you enter before 5 p.m. You will not pay to park as long as you enter the parking area after 5 p.m.

I want to pop a tent up in the parking lot by my car for shade; can I do that?

No. Tents are prohibited in the South Lot if you are tailgating by your vehicle.

Can I walk between the different tailgating locations?

Yes! Tailgate hop, visit with friends and have fun!

Are there any kid's activities planned?

Yes! Come by the Alumni Association tent, located near the family friendly area, for corn hole, giant Jenga, giant Connect 4, coloring books, a bounce house, inflatable basketball and inflatable skee ball!

If you can’t find the answers you need in the FAQs, alumni, please contact the Winthrop University Alumni Association for assistance at alumni@winthrop.edu or 800/578-6545, and students, please contact the DiGiorgio Student Union for assistance at dsu@winthrop.edu or 803/323-2248.