Master of Music in Conducting

Emphasis in Choral or Instrumental

It is the mission of the Department of Music at Winthrop University to offer nationally accredited music programs that provide students with opportunities to explore their intellectual and creative potentials through conducting, music education, and music performance degrees to prepare them for a life of professional, academic, and community service.

Graduate Program Advisor:
Dr. Elisa Koehler
koehlere@winthrop.edu 
803/323-2255  

Why Winthrop?

Woman in a black dress conducting in a dimly lit room

Graduate Assistantships

Students have the opportunity to work in their department and other campus offices as graduate assistants and associates.

Woman conducting a group of students from across the room

Fully Accredited

An accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) since 1940, the Department of Music is also accredited by the National Council of Accreditation of Teacher Education (now CEAP) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).

Woman in a suit conducting a large student orchestra

Podium Time

Students taking our Master of Music in Conducting have access to ample podium time with large ensembles and performance opportunities.

Click below to learn more about the program!

The Master of Music in Conducting includes two tracks:

• Instrumental track
    • Choral Track

Time to completion: 2 years
    Total Credits: 34
    Format: Campus-based
    Curriculum (MM in Conducting)

July 15 for Fall Admission

In addition to meeting Winthrop University general admission requirements for all graduate students, the applicant for admission to the Master of Music in Conducting program should:

• Have an overall undergraduate grade-point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.

• Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree with a major in performance or music education from an accredited institution.

• The candidate must also perform an entrance audition in conducting to be arranged through the appropriate conducting faculty.

• The audition should consist of standard repertory works and include representative works from various historical periods and styles. Students not accepted for graduate level study should register for undergraduate credit for one semester before re-auditioning for the graduate program.

• Applicants for both choral and instrumental emphases should also possess: a keyboard proficiency equal to that required of an undergraduate degree in performance or music education and proficiency on a primary instrument or voice (may be satisfied by the entrance audition).

• Applicants for the choral emphasis should also possess a diction proficiency in liturgical Latin, French, German and Italian.

The diagnostic placement examinations should be taken prior to the semester of initial enrollment in the graduate program.

Prospective students should contact Dr. Elisa Koehler by phone at 803/323-2255 or by e-mail at koehlere@winthrop.edu to confirm their intent to perform the audition and take the diagnostic placement examinations.

All applicants must submit:

• The online Graduate Studies application with the non-refundable application fee.

• Official transcript(s) from all institutions attended for undergraduate and graduate coursework.

• Note: Transcripts must be sent directly to Winthrop's Graduate Studies office from the issuing institution(s).

• Two letters of recommendation

• An applied entrance audition.

Beyond Graduation

"As a professional conductor and performer I am deeply indebted to Lorrie Crochet and Winthrop University. While pursuing my Masters of Music in Conducting at Winthrop I was given a great deal of podium time as well as having the opportunity to play in the Wind Symphony. This allowed me to not only observe Dr. Crochet run weekly rehearsals, but also allowed me to learn and experiment in front of a very good band. This provided me with a tremendous amount of confidence as a conductor. I've not seen many other Master's programs that provide as much podium time for conducting students as Winthrop University. To this day every time I'm on the podium I'm using skills that I learned at Winthrop University. I truly feel that one of the smartest professional decisions I've ever made was to attend Winthrop. I will always be grateful for my time at WU!"

Follow the Department of Music at Winthrop University!

Back to degree program list