Transfer Prospective Students

Transferring to a new university involves planning and utilizing your resources. As an experienced student, you already have navigated the admissions process. The transfer process involves additional considerations.

Planning to Transfer

If you are planning to transfer to Winthrop, be sure to plan in advance to ensure a smooth transition. Before you apply to transfer, ask yourself the following questions: 

• Have I talked to my current academic advisor or transfer counselor about transferring? 

• Have I reviewed Winthrop's transfer admission requirements

• Does Winthrop offer the major I am interested in? 

• Will the courses I've taken at my current university or college transfer into my intended major at Winthrop? 

• Are there any courses I need to complete before I transfer? 

• Have I reviewed the cost of attending Winthrop? 

If you have questions about how courses from another university may transfer, or would like to discuss course choice as a transfer student prior to enrolling at Winthrop University, you should contact the Student Services Office in your intended college.

Admissions Process

woman walking in springTransfer students may apply for admission to Winthrop University, providing they are eligible to return to the last institution they attended. Admission to Winthrop University is coordinated by the Office of Admissions, which can be contacted at 803/323-2191 or Joynes Hall. Please visit the Admissions Office with questions about the admissions process.

Transfer applicants who have attempted 13 semester (19.5 quarter) or more hours (excluding courses designated as remedial or developmental) of course work from a regionally accredited institution must present a cumulative grade point ratio of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants also must earn a 2.0 GPA for the last term of attendance.

Transfer applicants who have attempted 12 semester (18 quarter) or fewer hours (excluding courses designated as remedial or developmental) will be evaluated on their performance in college, high school GPA, and SAT or ACT scores. Emphasis will be placed on grades earned in college courses.

Transfer applicants must have official transcripts of all college course work (part- or full-time attempted or completed) from every institution attended (whether or not credit was earned or desired) sent directly from the registrar of each institution to the Winthrop University Office of Admissions. Students who have earned less than 30 hours of college course work must also submit high school transcripts.

Bridge Program

Winthrop University and York Technical have partnered to create the Winthrop Bridge Program. Become an honorary Eagle — join the Winthrop Bridge program. Enjoy many benefits afforded to Winthrop students while completing 32 hours of core courses at York Technical College. Then, when you transfer to Winthrop, you'll already be part of the Winthrop family, plus you'll have earned a University Studies Certificate from York Technical College.  Learn more about the Bridge Program (pdf - 186 KB).