Political Science

My Political Science Experience

Summersby Okey

Political Science and Philosophy & Religious Studies

Okey, SummersbySummersby Okey (2013, 2015) graduated from Winthrop in 2013 with a Bachelor in Arts in Political Science and Philosophy & Religious Studies. During her time at Winthrop, she interned in the Office of the Senior Advisor at the Democratic National Convention Committee in Charlotte, NC. After finishing her BA, Summersby once again attended Winthrop and graduated in May 2015 with a Master of Liberal Arts degree with a concentration in Political and Civic Engagement. Summersby worked for 2 years at the Program Assistant for the Philosophy & Religious Studies and Sociology & Anthropology departments at Winthrop University, before transitioning to her new role as the Operations Manager of the Center for Public Opinion & Policy Research (CPOPR). Summersby also teaches HMXP 102- the Human Experience: Who am I? and provides administrative support to the John C. West Forum on Politics and Policy, the new Center for Civic Learning, and Model United Nations.

"Philosophers have hitherto only interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."- Karl Marx

"My MA degree at Winthrop in Political and Civic Engagement, coupled with my undergraduate degree in Political Science at Winthrop, have really helped me to see the value in Civic Engagement and being involved in one's community! I learned how to be an engaged and effective citizen and to appreciate and understand other's views. Those are skills that I will use for the rest of my life, and that will help me no matter what career I pursue. I think the Political Science professors at Winthrop are among some of the best, probably in the world. They go out of their way to make sure that every student is engaged and has their needs met. They seek out personal relationships with the students and are extremely well-informed in their subject areas. Every one of them is so passionate about what they teach, and that makes it fun to learn from them."