Amy Rundio '09

ALUMNI PROFILE

Name: Amy Rundio
Residence: Statesboro, Georgia
Degree: Sport Management
Occupation: Assistant Professor of Sport Management at Georgia Southern University

Amy Rundio '09 wholeheartedly believes Winthrop lives up to its mission of being student-centered. 

“I loved the opportunities it provided for students; particularly the small class sizes. They allowed for a lot of opportunities to get to know faculty and learn from them,” she said. “Students have unique talents, skills, knowledge and perspectives that can make Winthrop even better,” said Rundio, who studied sport management at Winthrop.

She now teaches sport management at Georgia Southern University and inspires her students much like Winthrop faculty inspired her during her undergraduate years. At GSU, she also serves as the advisor for the Athletics Professionals Group and works with sports organizations to provide opportunities for students to learn from professionals and get hands-on experience.

For Rundio, real-world experience is just as important as classroom experience. As an out-of-state student at Winthrop, she realized the importance of getting involved and contributing to the campus community.

“I was forced to grow and connect with others because it was a huge new challenge where I didn't know anyone,” Rundio said. “I think my fondest moments come from being able to support my friends through their dance shows, plays, athletic events and more.  It was so easy and rewarding to be involved in the Winthrop community and fun to support others.”

Today, Rundio is very much still tied to community building. She divides her time teaching, being a triathlete and conducting research on how sports impacts or changes people (female triathletes, collegiate club sport athletes and cross country bike riders).

“I've even ridden my bike across the country twice to collect data!” said Rundio, who has been biking for nine years. Over the last three years, she biked 7,000 miles in 2017, 3,500 miles in 2018 and 4,300 miles during the summer of 2019. Many of her expeditions have been to support Bike the US for MS, cross country bicycle trips for multiple sclerosis research and awareness.

“I didn't know much about MS when I started riding but I quickly found out that I had more connections and knew more people with MS than I thought. So, I rode for them and all the people I met along the ride living with MS,” she said.

For Rundio, the reward from cross country biking comes from the people you meet along the way and the experience of new adventures each day.

“There are definitely days that you don't want to get on the bike because you're physically and/or mentally tired, but your fellow riders are there to help you out, and you remember why you're riding and who you're riding for,” she said. “And then are the days where you get to see and do new and amazing things like see states or ride your bike over the Continental Divide or meet amazing people.”

Rundio plans to focus more on bike commuting and cycling advocacy to support bike infrastructures in the community and to help more people get access to bikes, whether for fun or competition.   

RELATED LINKS

Nil Vinyals '18 wants to improve his soccer skills on and off the field

Pierre Wooten '02, '05 uses his competitiveness and faith to serve others