My Winthrop Experience

ALUMNI PROFILE
Name: Sheri Lynch '13
Residence: Charlotte, North Carolina
Degree: Master of Social Work
Occupation: Syndicated Radio Personality

Nationally syndicated radio personality Sheri Lynch '13, co-host of "The Bob and Sheri Show," has enjoyed immense success in radio, as a two-time author and as a motivational speaker. But several years ago, Lynch decided it was the perfect time to add another accomplishment to her resume — Winthrop graduate.

After speaking with a friend in the social work field, Lynch attended a Winthrop Graduate Studies Open House event and realized that the Master of Social Work program was exactly what she was looking for. "My friend suggested Winthrop because its social work program is tremendously regarded," said Lynch. The Charlotte, N.C., resident discovered she was eligible for in-state tuition, and that sealed the deal.

During her time at Winthrop Lynch acknowledges that she has changed. "I began this personal, transformational journey, and I can honestly say that I'm not the same person I was two years ago. I came here as a vessel just waiting to be filled. This journey has been a gift," Lynch added.

One aspect of her journey that is particularly important to her is the example that she has set for her two young daughters. "I wanted to show them that it's never too late to go back to school no matter how old or how successful you are. You can do whatever you set your mind to," said Lynch, who received the M.S.W. Academic Excellence Award for her hard work and perseverance. 

Balancing a full-time job, part-time field practicum and a family wasn't easy though. "This is by far one of the toughest, most challenging things I've done in my life," said Lynch, "but our listeners were very supportive, and I truly had my eye on the prize."   

For me, I wanted to have control over my future," Lynch said of her decision to return to college. "I wanted options for my life. Instead of worrying about my future, I got up, took the reins and did what I could to make my own luck, and you can't put a price on that type of transformational journey."

For now, she plans to continue co-hosting "The Bob and Sheri Show" and continue her work with World Vision. "I can't do this kind of radio forever, and I know that," said Lynch, a five-time winner of the Gracie Allen Award. "So it's wonderful to have other opportunities to explore down the road."