Brian Greene '05

ALUMNI PROFILE

Name: Brian Greene '05
Residence: Rock Hill, South Carolina
Degree: Business Administration/Healthcare Management
Occupation: Operations Analyst  

Like most alumni, Brian Greene '05 has fond memories of Winthrop. 

One of his sincerest remembrances is helping students as a resident assistant during times when they needed someone the most. In a recent book, Greene brings his connection to helping people full circle by highlighting the essential workers who led him on a road to recovery from COVID-19.   

Greene summarizes “Smell the Roses, Blow Out the Candles: My Covid-19 Story” as “a little book with a big message” about “perseverance and mental strength.” It details his COVID-19 experience from June 25, a six-day hospital stay and his present-day recovery.  

His healing now looks like working from home as an operations analyst for Lincoln Harris. Greene graduated from Winthrop in 2005 after studying healthcare management. As a student, he received guidance and mentorship from people like former Healthcare Management Professor Keith Benson and Assistant Director of Residence Life John "JT" Timmons

For Greene, his recovery also looks like marketing his book, swimming, kayaking, golfing, jogging as well as streaming movies, documentaries and TV shows. For Greene, much of the perseverance and motivation to fight the coronavirus came from within. He has always motivated himself internally and explores more of that journey in his book. 

“I have always tried to be the best me I can be and live the best life I can live.” 

His advice to the Winthrop community: 

For incoming students: 

"Don't expect any handouts, always work hard at everything you do. Your work defines you as a person.  Most importantly, show up. Ninety percent of everything is just showing up.” 

For current students: 

“Enjoy the moment! Your classes and experiences go by fast.”  

For alumni: 

“Don't forget where you came from! Give back to the Winthrop community however you can.  Whether it's your time or your money, anything helps, and your actions can impact the lives of others.”  

Greene recently talked about his COVID-19 experience in a YouTube interview with fellow alumna Adrienne Edge '03, founder of ProFIT Wellness Coaching.