Winthrop University Police Department

Traffic and Parking

Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)

How do I apply for a parking permit/hangtag?

The Winthrop University Police Department will notify the campus community when the current academic year permits are available. Students can then apply for a parking permit by registering online using a student Wingspan account or by registering at the Winthrop University Police Department, Good Building, 526 Myrtle Drive. Faculty and staff may apply online at the parking permits login page or by registering at the Winthrop University Police Department,Good Building, 526 Myrtle Drive.

What is the cost of a parking permit?

Student permits are $100 for the full year, and faculty/staff permits are $30 for the full year. Additional details regarding permit cost can be found by logging on to the online parking permit request page. For students, when a vehicle is registered with the Winthrop University Police Department, the cost of the parking permit is automatically charged to your student university account. For faculty/staff, when a vehicle is registered with the Winthrop University Police Department, the cost of the parking permit is immediately paid through Winthrop University Marketplace.

How many vehicles may I register?

Students and faculty/staff may register up to two vehicles at a time. The hangtag can be rotated between the vehicles; however, only one of the registered vehicles can be on campus utilizing the hangtag at a time.

Can I register my vehicle if it has a temporary license plate?

Yes. However, once you receive your permanent license plate, it is your responsibility to update it with the Winthrop University Police Department.

What if I drive a motorcycle?

The purchase of a current academic year Parking Permit is still required and Motorcycles must be registered at the Winthrop University Police Department. You will receive a parking permit, but will not be required to be displayed on the Motorcycle.

What if I do not live on campus, do I still need a parking permit?

Yes, all faculty, staff, and students are required to purchase the current academic year parking permit in order to park on campus regardless of the time or day. Winthrop University Parking Rules and Regulations are enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to include weekends and holidays.

What should I do if I temporarily need to drive another car to campus?

Temporary vehicles still need to be registered in person at the Winthrop University Police Department, which is open 24 hours a day/seven days a week. Upon registering the temporary vehicle, the vehicle will be issued a paper placard and allowed to park in assigned areas based off of current parking permit designation.

How do I display my hangtag?

Parking permits must be hung on the rear view mirror in such a manner that the parking permit is completely viewable and unobstructed from the front of the vehicle. If a vehicle is utilizing a sun shade or other similar device, the parking permit must be displayed so that the parking permit is viewable from the front of the vehicle by placing the hangtag on the front dash. A Temporary parking permit or a Visitor parking permit must be displayed on the front driver side dash. When utilizing an official state disability placard, the official state disability placard should be placed on the rear view mirror and the parking permit should be displayed on the front dash area of the vehicle.

What should I do if I lose my hangtag?

You may come to the Winthrop University Police Department (Good Building) and purchase a replacement for a $5 charge. This charge is immediately paid through Winthrop University Marketplace for all replacements.

How much are the fines if I receive a citation?

A “Failure to Register Vehicle” citation is $110. All other fines, not including State-issued Uniform Traffic Tickets, are $40 for each individual charge.

Where do I pay citations?

Parking citations can be paid online through your Wingspan account or at the Cashiers Office (basement of Tillman Hall). The Winthrop University Police Department does not collect any money for fines.

I wasn't driving my car at the time of the citation; why am I being fined?

The person to whom a permit is issued is responsible for parking violations cited to the vehicle for which the permit is issued, regardless of who was driving the vehicle at the time.

What if I don't agree with the citation?

An appeal must be filed within 14 days via the on-line process. The link can be found on the Winthrop University Police Department website under "Related Links." Appeals made after 14 days will not be heard. Only 1 appeal per ticket is permitted. Please allow 24 hours from the time of issuance of the citation to file an appeal. All appeals are decided by the Parking Appeals Committee, which is made up of faculty/staff and students. All decisions made by the Parking Appeals Committee are final.

Will I lose my parking privileges if I get too many tickets?

Winthrop University has the authority to revoke a parking permit if a vehicle accumulates a total of four or more citations in an academic semester. Once revoked, that hangtag cannot be utilized to park on the campus of Winthrop University, and no vehicles registered to that hangtag can be parked on the campus of Winthrop University. Once revoked, the registered vehicles will be added to the tow list. All parking privileges will be revoked and your vehicle will remain on the tow list until either the next academic semester or the driver completes the Second Chance Program, which is offered at the Winthrop University Police Department.

Do visitors need parking permits?

Yes. Everyone parking on campus needs to have a permit. Visitor permits are free and can be obtained at the Winthrop University Police Department. The Visitors can park in certain spaces on campus. Please refer to the parking map for the designated visitor spaces.

What do the different colored lines on the pavement mean?

These lines represent the different parking areas. Garnet represents Faculty/Staff (F/S), green represents visitors, white represents students, blue represents disabled, and yellow represents "no parking".

Can vehicles park in fire lanes, and no parking areas if they turn on their flashers or are off-loading?

No. Fire lanes are used for emergency vehicles in case of an emergency. Winthrop University facilities vehicles may use such areas on official business.

Can students park in Faculty/Staff spaces?

Some parking spaces allow student parking after a designated time and some spaces prohibit student parking 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Students may park only in Faculty/Staff spaces where signs with designated times are posted. Parking rules and regulations will guide you on which lots and spaces will allow student parking.

Can anyone utilize the 20 minute parking spaces?

The 20 minute parking spaces have been designated for those with a current academic year parking permit as a method to temporarily park close to a building for drop off purposes. There is sign at each space indicating to contact Winthrop University Police Department at 803/323-3333 in order to gain authorization. You will be asked various questions in order to identify your vehicle and the area it is being parked. If you utilize these parking spaces over the 20 minute time frame or if you fail to get authorization, you are subject to receiving a parking citation.