Mass Communication

My Mass Comm. Experience

Browse these profiles to find out more about My Mass Communication Experience:

Kim Young Woods

Education: M.A., Education, Winthrop University; B.A., Mass Communication, Winthrop University

Occupation: Vice President of Sales, Pearson; Chandler, AZ

Kim Young Woods is the Vice President of District Business Development for Pearson, a global education company that employs over 24,000 employees. Kim's work portfolio includes over 25 years of sales strategy and leadership, DEI and culture management, and partnership experience. She is the CEO and Founder of LifeChangers Solutions, LLC, which provides executive and career coaching, personal coaching, and group coaching.

kim woods

Kim is a veteran media sales leader who knows about breaking glass ceilings. She has been recognized and honored by the South Carolina Press Association and the South Carolina House of Representatives as the first female African American publisher of a newspaper in the state of South Carolina. Previously, she worked for the top news organizations in the country, having managed six of their properties as Vice President of Digital and Media Sales.

Kim Young Woods is a graduate of Northwestern University’s Advanced Executive Program and received both her Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communications in Journalism and her Masters of Education in Counseling and Development from Winthrop University (SC). Residing in Chandler, AZ, she is married and they have two children.

Whitney Hough

Education: M.A., Arts Administration, Winthrop University; B.S. Integrated Marketing Communication, Winthrop University

Occupation: Marketing and Publicity Manager, Blumenthal Performing Arts

During her junior year at Winthrop, Whitney Hough decided to evaluate what it was she wanted to do in her career. After two and a half years of planning to be a social studies teacher, Hough made the change to Integrated Marketing Communication and pursued a career in marketing.

"I knew shortly after making the switch that it was the right choice for me," Hough said. "My classes just made sense, they clicked. I knew that it was what I was meant to do."

whitney hough

After she expressed uncertainty about exactly what industry she was interested in, a professor suggested she apply to an internship to get more experience in the arts. In her senior year, Hough worked at Blumenthal Performing Arts as an intern in the marketing department. She felt immediately at home in the field and decided that arts and entertainment was the path she wanted to pursue.

Upon completing her degree at Winthrop, Hough relocated to Texas where she began a career with the award-winning outdoor performance venue The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Hough started at The Pavilion as the social media marketing coordinator and was soon promoted to the marketing and public relations manager.

"The skills I learned in my IMC classes - whether it be marketing, advertising, or public relations - every single one of them I have used in my career," Hough said. "I can't overstate the importance of strong writing skills. I use this every day!"

After a few years, Hough's family decided to relocate back to the Carolinas. She rejoined the Winthrop community as the Director of Communications and Community Engagement for the College of Visual and Performing Arts. During her time as an employee at Winthrop, Hough earned her master's degree in Arts Administration.

Then, in August 2021, Hough returned to the organization that sparked her interest in the arts. She was hired as the Marketing and Publicity Manager for Blumenthal Performing Arts.

"Returning to Blumenthal really is a dream come true," said Hough. "If it weren't for that initial push by my professor to pursue the internship, I never would have realized that my love of the arts and live entertainment could turn into a lifelong career!"

Caitlan Walzer

Education: B.A., Mass Communication, Winthrop University

Occupation: Director of Public Relations, Kenneth Shuler School of Cosmetology

For Caitlan Walzer, Winthrop was more than just school. It was an opportunity center. Caitlan Walzer

After getting involved with Greek life at Winthrop, she was able to take on leadership opportunities within her sorority, Alpha Delta Pi. After finding her footing as a student leader she began to pursue opportunities within the mass communication department. Walzer discovered The Johnsonian where she landed roles as arts and culture editor and later managing editor as an upperclassman. She was also a staff writer for Her Campus Winthrop. Walzer won several mass communication awards, including the Terry Plumb Writing Award and the Virginia Wilcox Design Award, as well as recognitions from The Johnsonian Staff of 1970 and the Rock Hill Herald.

“Being awarded as outstanding senior in journalism was truly a humbling experience because it showed me that no matter how many trials and tribulations one goes through in life and in school, your hard work does not go unnoticed and because of that, I am forever grateful to not only the whole mass communication department for their willingness to push me to my limits, but to Dr. William Joseph Schulte as well,” Walzer said. Read more here.

Olivia Reed

Education: B.A., Integrated Marketing Communication, Winthrop University

Occupation: Integrated Marketing Coordinator and Social Media Manager, The Culture and Heritage Museums

Olivia Reed has always embraced being a lifelong learner and had to put that school of thought into practice when COVID-19 challenged daily routines.Olivia Reed

As the integrated marketing manager for all of the York County Culture & Heritage Museums (CHM), Reed has stretched herself in new ways, learning new skills, even down to the process of applying for a drone photography license!

“With the COVID-19 pandemic, the ‘normal’ way of doing things came to a halt overnight. It was challenging developing ways to revamp programs and events to virtual platforms by forging new grounds and getting sets and technology to cooperate,” Reed said. “Learning new software and stretching and developing videography skills has been exciting, challenging and rewarding.” Read more here.