New Student and Family Programs

Orientation Faculty Mentors (OFMs)

Orientation Faculty Mentors (OFM) are some of Winthrop's best faculty members who volunteer their time to assist you with your transition to the university during Freshmen Orientation. OFMs pair up with Orientation Leaders and are available throughout the Orientation experience to both new students and their family members. We welcome you to get to know this wonderful group and ask any questions you may have.

If you are a current Winthrop faculty member and are interested in participating as an OFM, please e-mail orientation@winthrop.edu for more information.

2024 OFMs

Dr. BloomquistDr. Kori Bloomquist

Academic College: College of Arts and Sciences

What should students call you? Dr. B or Dr. Bloomquist

Hometown: Frankfort, Indiana

Favorite Class at WU to Teach: SCWK 200 - Introduction to Social Work

Advice for New Students to Succeed Academically: Make a connection with at least one other person in each class so you can share notes, study together, support one another (and maybe even become lifelong best friends...this happened to me!)

Favorite Winthrop Tradition: The Common Book

Education: Bachelor of Social Work, Master of Social Work, PhD in Social Work all from Indiana University 

Fun Fact: In November of 2022, I took a week-long trip to Paris - alone! 

Conversation Starters: Books, sports, travel, toddlers 

Margaret Gillikin Dr. Margaret Gillikin

What should students call you? Dr. Gillikin

Hometown: York, South Carolina

Favorite Class at WU to Teach: HIST 312 – History of Education in America. In this class we talk about school. I get to hear students tell about their experiences in school as we consider how schools shape us as individuals and as a society. I love the interaction in the classroom  as we learn together.

Advice for New Students to Succeed Academically: Get to know others – the people you live near, those in your classes and clubs, and your professors. The relationships we form here are what make Winthrop such a wonderful place. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. We learn together.

Favorite Winthrop Tradition: I love that students enter Winthrop at Convocation by walking through the line of professors and then leave at Commencement by walking through the same line. It shows how much we welcome students when they arrive and how proud we are with they graduate.

Education: BA in Secondary Education/French from Clemson University; MA in History from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro; PhD in History from the University of South Carolina

Fun Fact: I’ve taught students from fifth grade through graduate school.

Conversation Starters: History , historical fiction, travel, your high school experiences, your Winthrop experience

Dr. Adam GloverDr. Adam Glover

Academic College: College of Arts & Sciences

What should students call you? Adam or Dr. Glover

Hometown: Glasgow, Kentucky

Favorite Class at WU to Teach: I enjoy teaching Latin American Poetry. It's fun to help students see that they do love poetry after all!

Favorite Thing about Winthrop: I love being in class with our students. It's exhilarating to see new perspectives and to learn interesting things from interesting people.

How I chose my major when I was in college: I loved Spanish, and I loved Philosophy. I knew that's what I wanted to study from the beginning, and I never really considered anything else.

Education: BA in Spanish and Philosophy from Georgetown College; PhD in Hispanic Studies from the University of Kentucky

Fun Fact: I teach Spanish, but I love dead languages (especially Latin and Greek)!

Conversation Starters: Anything from Bach to bacteria and back again - just name a topic! If I know something about it, I'll share. If I don't, I'll learn!

Dr. Jessie HammDr. Jessie Hamm

What should students call you? Jamm

Hometown: Griffin, Georgia

Favorite Class at WU to Teach: Math 310, Introduction to Proofs, Math 112, Joy of Mathematics, and ACAD 101 (honestly any class where students are excited to learn and willing to talk to me)

Advice for New Students to Succeed Academically--Embrace failure and challenges. Don't view them as a bad thing but as opportunities to learn and grow! Ask questions all the time. No question is a "dumb question". Professors love questions-I promise! Get to know your professors and classmates—make new friends. The one thing you will remember most from college is probably the relationships you formed so be intentional with your friendships and make them last! Have fun y'all!

Favorite Winthrop Tradition: I love that students leave commencement by walking through the line of faculty. It's such a sweet time where we can show how proud we are of our students and grab one last hug before they leave the Eagle nest! 

Education: BS in Mathematics with a Minor in Secondary Education from Berry College in Rome, Georgia, MA in Mathematics from Wake Forest University in Winston Salem, NC, and PhD in Mathematics from Temple University in Philadelphia, PA

Fun Fact: I LOVE musical theater! I have seen 11 different shows on Broadway.  

Conversation Starters: my kids!!!, math, musicals, reading, anime, The Office and many other shows, your personality--honestly, I just love to get to know people so I would be happy to talk about anything! 

Dr. Stacy MartinDr. Stacy Martin

Academic College: College of Education, Sport, and Human Sciences

What should students call you? Dr. Martin

Hometown: Sumter, South Carolina

Favorite Class at WU to Teach: I love teaching ACAD 101 (Principles of the Learning Academy). This course allows me to teach and get to know students outside the College of Education, Sport, and Human Sciences. I also enjoy helping students navigate and adjust to the challenges of college life.

Favorite Spot on Campus: I love walking and sitting under the oak trees along the front of campus – so peaceful and relaxing.  I encourage everyone to find their “happy place” on campus.

How I chose my major when I was in college: I originally thought I wanted to be an accountant. I loved math and thought it would be a good fit; however, a few life experiences helped me realize I did not want to be sitting at a desk all day and I needed a career that would have a positive impact on others. One of my high school teachers made such a difference in my life that I chose to be a teacher. I have a passion for working with students and I love what I am doing each day. In the courses I teach, I challenge my students to find their “why” in what they choose.  Life is too short to not be happy with your career.

Education: BS in Elementary Education from the University of South Carolina; MEd in Education Administration the University of South Carolina; PhD in Curriculum & Instruction from the University of South Carolina

Fun Fact: I climbed to the top of St. Peter's Basilica - literally the top of the dome! What an amazing view of Rome!

Conversation Starters: college sports, golf, track and field, I love to cook!

Otha

Dr. O. Jennifer Dixon-McKnight

What should students call you? Dr. Dixon-McKnight

Hometown: Burgaw, North Carolina

Favorite Class at WU to Teach: They are all my favorites but I truly enjoy teaching   HIST/AAMS 509: African American History. For the vast majority of my students, this course   is their first in African American History.

Advice for New Students to Succeed Academically: Work hard and play hard. Be sure to strike a balance between your academic responsibilities and activities outside of the classroom. Work hard in your academic endeavors AND spend time doing things that bring you joy and make you smile.

Favorite Winthrop Tradition:  The Blue Line is a wonderful way to welcome students into the institution.

Education:  Ph.D., Women's and Gender History; U.S. History, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
M.A., African-American History and U.S. History, North Carolina Central University
B.A., History, North Carolina Central University
B.A., African and Afro-American Studies, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 

Fun Fact: I carry/wear scarves year-round.

Conversation Starters: Anything related to History, my daughter, and my students.
Area(s):  African American History, Women's and Gender History, United States History, Twentieth Century, South, Social Movements, Labor, Oral History 

Dr. Nick MoellmanDr. Nick Moellman

Academic College: College of Business and Technology

What should students call you? Dr. Moellman

Hometown: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Favorite Class at WU to Teach: I enjoy teaching ECON 315 (Microeconomics Analysis) because I get to show students the actual methodology used to do economics, peeling back the curtain a bit and showing students the nuts and bolts of how economics really works.

Favorite Spot on Campus: I love the sidewalk lined by huge oak trees that runs along the front of campus and in front of Tillman Hall. Walking through those trees is incredibly peaceful and makes me feel like I've stepped 200 years back in time!

How I chose my major when I was in college: I started college as a Journalism major, with the goal of never taking another math class in my life. I decided that I really liked the framework of economics provided to analyze the world, so I declared that as a second major. I eventually graduated with dual degrees in Economics and Letters (humanities), which I kept because I loved writing and literature, as well as a math minor to prepare for graduate school.

Education: BA in Economics and a BA in Letters from the University of Oklahoma; MS in Economics from the University of Wisconsin (Madison); MS in Economics from the University of Kentucky; PhD in Economics from the University of Kentucky

Fun Fact: My work on Medicaid and food insecurity has been cited by the White House (https://www.whitehouse.gov/cea/written-materials/2021/06/22/the-effects-of-earlier-medicaid-expansions-a-literature-review/)

Conversation Starters: economics, superheroes, guitars, bourbon, fantasy novels

Dr. Kelly Ozust Kelly Ozust

Academic College: College of Visual and Performing Arts
What should students call you? Kelly
Hometown:
San Diego, California
Favorite Class at WU to Teach:
Choreography/Musical Theatre History

Advice for New Students to Succeed Academically: Reach out to your professors. We are here to help and we want to get to know you! We can help you work toward success only if we know that you have questions or need help/advice.

Favorite Winthrop Tradition: The Winthrop Tree Lighting

Education: BA in Sociology from the University of Georgia and MFA in Choreography from UNCG

Fun Fact: I am in John Mayer's first music video (blink and you'll miss me).

Conversation Starters: Where is one of your favorite places to visit? What books would you recommend? What can you make with your hands?

Dr. Tenisha L. PowellDr. Tenisha L. Powell

What should students call you? Dr. Powell
Hometown: 
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Favorite Class at WU to Teach: I’ve taught almost every class in the early childhood education program and I enjoy them all for different reasons. I love teaching ECED 310 (Home, School, Community Partnerships with Diverse Families) because I get to help prepare students working with families of diverse cultures, societies and languages and EDCI 361 (Teaching Science in PK-6 Classrooms) is really fun to teach because we get to explore and experiment with science just like we would in an actual early childhood classroom – lots of active and engaging hands-on lessons.

Advice for New Students to Succeed Academically: “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” – Maya Angelou 1) Communicate with your professors, 2) Work first, then play – both are necessary, so don’t sacrifice one for the other.

Education: I earned my BS in Child Development: Early Education & Family Studies from North Carolina A&T State University (AGGIE PRIDE), my MS in Child Development & Family Studies from Purdue University, and then my PhD in Human Development & Family Studies from the University of North Carolina – Greensboro.

Fun Fact: I have an identical twin sister and even though we live in separate states, we still get mistaken for each other. 

Conversation Starters: my family, twin life, knitting, audio books, and the Mitten State (iykyk)

Dr. Sandy RogersDr. Sandy Rogers

What should students call you? Dr. Rogers 
Hometown:
Stanley, North Carolina

Favorite Class at WU to Teach: I love them all. HMXP is a lot of fun; I really enjoy getting to delve into the various texts with students and watching the relationships that are formed in that class. And of course I love whenever I get to teach within my subject. I’ve taught Gender and the Bible twice, and it was fantastic, and I’m looking forward to teaching Wealth, Poverty, and Justice in the Bible this fall. I’m also excited about getting to teach Reading Biblical Texts, an introduction to the literature of the Bible in all its variations and contexts.

Advice for New Students to Succeed Academically:Talk to and meet with your professors! We’re on your side and want you to succeed. Communicate with us. Ask questions. Come to see us.

Education: I earned my BA double major in Psychology and Religion from Wingate University, did my MDiv in Richmond, Virginia, and then earned my PhD in Hebrew Bible from the University of Leipzig in Germany.

Fun Fact: One of my favorite possessions is a sword that was custom made for me with an amethyst in the cross-guard—and I have, in fact, sparred with it. It’s not just a show piece.

Conversation Starters: Fantasy and Science Fiction; Sailor Moon; Mythology; and honestly, just anything you want to geek out on, I love to hear and learn and just enjoy your passion.

DavidDr. David Vawter

What should students call you? Coach
Hometown:
Ashland, Oregon

Favorite Class at WU to Teach: I love to teach the Education Psychology class for freshmen and the Classroom Management class for juniors- and I hope to teach beginning tennis again soon!

Advice for New Students to Succeed Academically: In one word: balance. Do classes and studies at your best, but take time out to be active to stay healthy (visit the West Center to work out), be active in clubs and student organization, and make lifelong friends. In other words do Winthrop to the max.

Education: Oregon State University, B.S. in Education.  UNC-Charlotte Masters in Education.  University of Virginia, Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction.

Fun Fact: I have been a head coach for over 40 seasons from rec league, middle school, and high school varsity teams. I also had a very unique college experience, but you have to ask me to find out.

Conversation Starters: Do you really spend your summers at a nearby summer camp?  Which is more fun - Tennis or Pickelball? Or, What is your favorite kind of dance?

Thank you to those who have served as OFMs in previous summers!

2023 OFMs

• Dr. Kori Bloomquist
  • Dr. Margaret Gillikin
  • Dr. Adam Glover
  • Dr. Jessica Hamm
  • Dr. Stacy Martin
  • Dr. Jennifer Dixon-McKnight
  • Dr. Nick Moellman
  • Dr. Kelly Ozust
  • Dr. Sandy Rogers
  • Dr. David Vawter
  • Dr. Paul Wiegand

2022 OFMs

• Dr. Nick Moellman
  • Dr. Jennifer Dixon-McKnight
  • Dr. Philip Gibson
  • Dr. Adam Glover
  • Dr. Joanna Jackson
  • Dr. Stacy Martin
  • Dr. Brandon Ranallo-Benavidez
  • Dr. Larry Stevens
  • Dr. Danko Tarabar
  • Dr. David Vawter
  • Dr. Kristen Wunderlich

2021 OFMs

• Dr. Jennifer Disney
  • Dr. Sherell Fuller
  • Dr. Philip Gibson
  • Dr. Adam Glover
  • Dr.Joanna Jackson
  • Dr. Stacy Martin
  • Professor Kent Miller
  • Dr. Nick Moellman
  • Dr. April Mustian
  • Dr. Danko Tarabar

2020 OFMs

• Prof. Amanda Campbell, College of Arts & Sciences
  • Dr. Sherell Fuller, College of Education, Sport, and Human Sciences
  • Dr. Philip Gibson, College of Business and Technology
  • Dr. Adam Glover, College of Arts & Sciences
  • Dr. Joanna Jackson, College of Business and Technology
  • Dr. Nicholas Moellman, College of Business and Technology
  • Dr. Tracy Patterson, College of Visual & Performing Arts
  • Dr. Danko Tarabar, College of Business and Technology
  • Dr. David Vawter, College of Education, Sport, and Human Sciences
  • Dr. Scott Werts, College of Arts & Sciences
  • Dr. Ginger Williams, College of Arts & Sciences

2019 OFMs

• Prof. Leah Kendall, University College
  • Dr. Michael Lipscomb, College of Arts & Sciences
  • Dr. Jeff McEvoy, College of Visual & Performing Arts
  • Dr. David Schary, College of Education, Sport, and Human Sciences

2018 OFMs

• Dr. Jimmy Cheng, College of Business and Technology
  • Prof. Jeannine Hogue, College of Visual & Performing Arts
  • Dr. Devon Ralston, College of Arts & Sciences
  • Dr. Kristi Schoepfer, College of Education, Sport, and Human Sciences
  • Prof. Meg Schriffen, College of Visual & Performing Arts

2017 OFMs

• Dr. Casey Cothran, College of Arts & Sciences
  • Prof. Karen Derksen, College of Visual & Performing Arts
  • Prof. Annie-Laurie Wheat, College of Visual & Performing Arts
  • Dr. Kristen Wonderlich, College of Visual & Performing Arts