New Student and Family Programs

Frequently Asked Questions About Orientation

Orientation for Fall 2023:

Orientation Fees and Registration

Freshman Orientation

Family Orientation

Course Registration

Still Have Questions?

FAQs about Orientation for Fall 2023 

Do I pay to attend orientation?

Once you've decided to attend Winthrop, all students pay an enrollment deposit  of $300 by May 1, or four weeks from the date of your acceptance.  The deposit is non-refundable after May 1 and covers your orientation fee and housing application fee (if applicable).  Any remaining balance will be applied toward your tuition and fees for your first semester.

I don’t have access to a computer/laptop/tablet. Can I attend my transfer (virtual) orientation using my mobile device?

While it is best to participate in your transfer (virtual) orientation session on a larger screen, It can be completed on a mobile device. Please review the Virtual Event Attendance Guide for helpful guidelines.

How do I check that my major is listed correctly in Wingspan?

Log into Wingspan using your Winthrop credentials. Under the “Student” tab, then “Student Records,” then “Academic Transcript,” then “Submit”.

For transfer students, please e-mail orientation@winthrop.edu as soon as possible and include your name, WUID, listed major, and new major.

For freshmen who are undecided on a major, you will need to complete the  Pre-Advising Survey before attending orientation.

When will we learn about and get to meet with Financial Aid/Student Financial Services?

During orientation, you will experience presentations by both Student Financial Services and Financial Aid. If you need to ask specific questions about your account or financial assistance, contact them by e-mail at SFS@winthrop.edu or FinAid@winthrop.edu.

What should we bring to orientation?

See our webpage on what to bring for more information.

REGISTERING FOR CLASSES

How do I register for classes?  

Freshmen during your orientation, you will participate in advising and will register for your classes before leaving campus.  

Transfer students attending orientation (virtual) will schedule an appointment with their college advisor. In this appointment, you and your advisor will talk through your incoming credit and how it applies to your degree progress. You will register for classes during or after your appointment. Transfer students attending an in-person orientation will register for classes during orientation.

How do I find out who my advisor is?

During orientation, you will have a college academic advising meeting with a student services advisor. In the fall, you will be assigned your academic advisor who you’ll meet with to register for all subsequent semesters at Winthrop.

I'm a transfer student. What will be covered in my advising meeting?

The academic advisor you meet with after your orientation will further cover specifics for your degree program and what classes you should take in Fall 2023. You will also have the opportunity to talk through any transfer credits.

Orientation Fees and Registration

What is the cost for Orientation?

The cost of orientation is covered from the Enrollment Deposit. 

If I register for a session and decide not to attend, can I receive a refund?

Refunds for the enrollment deposit will not be issued after May 1. Please note: No refunds are issued for students who complete any part of Orientation and then withdraw from Winthrop.  

How do I register for Orientation?

To register for Orientation, go to your Admissions Portal and complete the required steps.

What if I need to make a change to my registration?
To change your Orientation session, you will need to e-mail Orientation@winthrop.edu.

I tried to register for a session but the website said it was full. Can I be put on a waiting list?
Unfortunately, we do not maintain waiting lists for Orientation sessions due to high volume. Sessions are first-come, first-served so we encourage you to sign up as soon as you know which one you can attend. If a session is full, you will need to register for a different session.  

Freshman Orientation

If I have a family member who is a Winthrop alumni, is Orientation still required?
Winthrop is ever-changing and will be a very different campus than the one your family member may have experienced. Orientation is essential for you to learn the current campus atmosphere. Remember, all new students are required to complete Orientation.  

Do I need money for Orientation?
For any in-person Orientation event, you may want to bring money for a visit to the Winthrop Bookstore to buy a Welcome Week pass, or if you might want late-night pizza delivery, but none is necessary. 

If I am traveling from out of town and arriving at Charlotte Douglas International Airport, how do I get to campus?
Winthrop does not have a shuttle service to and from the airport. The airport can provide you with information about ground transportation to and from Winthrop. Uber or Lyft may also meet your needs. Students can find directions to Winthrop University online.  

How do I turn in my required medical and immunization information?  Can I bring it to Orientation?
Paper forms can NOT be accepted. Students should complete the Winthrop University immunization requirements by creating a Patient Portal account. In your account, you will be able to complete the required forms, enter your immunization dates, and upload your immunization documentation. All documents must be uploaded into the Portal. If you do not complete the requirements before the start of classes, you will be at risk of being charged a non-refundable $50 non-compliance fee. Here is a step-by-step guide to the immunization requirement process. If you have further questions, please contact the Center for Student Wellness (formerly Center for Student Wellness) directly.

Transfer Orientation

I'm a transfer student and have attended Orientation at my previous institution. Do I need to attend Winthrop's Orientation?
Yes, all students must complete Orientation at Winthrop. Winthrop has its own academic policies and involvement opportunities--it is important to learn these differences.   

Family Orientation

Do parents and family members need to attend Orientation?
Family Orientation is not mandatory. However, we encourage parents and family members to attend to learn more about Winthrop and ways you can support your student as they transition into the Winthrop Community.  Students can register up to two family members to attend Family Orientation at a fee of $25 per person.  The fee for Family Orientation will be billed to the student's account after their registered orientation session has occurred.  

What exactly is Family Orientation?

The Family Orientation program offers parents and family members the opportunity to learn about various campus services, policies and procedures, and also assists them in understanding the challenges their students may face. The goal of Family Orientation is to provide you with the information to help support your student as they transition into the Winthrop community. 

What should I bring/wear to Orientation?

Where will students stay while attending Orientation?
Students attending an in-person orientation session will stay overnight in a Winthrop Residence Hall. 

Are there sleeping accommodations for the families?
No. Parents and family members who are attending Family Orientation and would like to stay overnight in the area can view a list of hotels that give a Winthrop discount.  

Can my boyfriend/girlfriend/brother/sister/friend hang out with me at Orientation?
No. Only new students can participate in Orientation activities. The Orientation programs are specifically designed to meet the needs of the population attending. Additionally, this is a time for you to get to know your new home and start feeling comfortable here. If non-students are present, they will be asked to leave.

Course Registration

Can students make changes to their classes after they register?
Freshmen can make changes to their schedule starting in early August until the end of the add/drop period

Transfer students can make changes to their schedule until the end of the add/drop period

When is the last day I can change my schedule?
There is an add/drop date that students must adhere to for each semester. This date directly connects to student billing, among other things.

I'm a transfer student. How will I know which classes to register for?
Transfer students will meet with an Academic Advisor prior to registering for classes to assist them in deciding which classes to register for. Students can also see which classes they are required to take in order to graduate by visiting the Degree Works page on their Wingspan account or by checking out the Degree Checklist page. Throughout the summer faculty, staff, and Orientation Leaders will be available to help with scheduling, navigating the system, and any other problems. 

What if I haven't decided what to major in?
Winthrop provides advisement for undeclared majors in our University College. You will begin by taking courses that will fulfill our general education requirement. During Orientation, you'll meet with an Undeclared Major Advisor who will help you select classes, based on your interests, so that you are on track to degree completion.

What if I need to get into a class and it is closed? How can I get an override?
Students should complete this form to request an override. If you do not receive a response in a week's time, contact your Academic College's Student Services person.

If I have Wingspan login problems, what should I do?
Please contact the IT Helpdesk at 803/323-2400. Wingspan is compatible with recent versions of most popular web browsers, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. Device-specific and service-specific browsers such as Web TV and some hand-held devices may not provide full Wingspan functionality.

Still Have Questions?

Check out these other Winthrop websites that have lists of FAQs:

Family FAQs 
Freshman Admissions
Transfer Admissions
General Admissions
Financial Aid
Cashiers Office
Residence Life
Records and Registration
Traffic and Parking
Office of Accessibility
Cultural Events

If you still have unanswered questions, feel free to contact the Office of New Student and Family Programs via e-mail at Orientation@winthrop.edu