FAQ Navigate

On-demand Navigate training videos

Click here for on-demand Navigate training videos on the following topics:

• Introduction to Navigate
  • Syncing your calendar
  • Setting up availability
  • Manually scheduling an appointment
  • E-mails and texts
  • Notes
  • To-do's
  • Alerts
  • Recording attendance
  • Advances searches and student lists

Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

I can’t log into Navigate

Make sure that you are logging in to the correct platform for faculty and staff: https://winthrop.campus.eab.com

Also - make sure your username and password is correct. If you can log in to other Winthrop systems but not Navigate, contact navigate@winthrop.edu. If you cannot log in to any Winthrop systems, contact servicedesk@winthrop.edu.

Do faculty and staff have access to the Navigate app?

No. Only students can access the app.

Why can’t I access a student?

For faculty advisors, you can only access your assigned students. For users with Roles granting access to all students, an error message on the student profile typically means that the student is primarily a graduate student (even if they are taking an undergraduate course) or no longer an active undergraduate (e.g. because they graduated or transferred).

What students have access to Navigate?

All active undergraduate students can access Navigate. At this point graduate students do not have access.

Can I use other calendars than Outlook?

Technically, yes. We do highly recommend using your Outlook calendar. This is important in regards to FERPA compliance. If you're using Google Calendar, make sure to change your settings in so that nobody else can access your calendar information. This is due to student information (name, CWID) being uploaded into your student appointments. If you need help changing your settings, please contact engblomy@winthrop.edu.

My Outlook calendar isn’t syncing correctly [if you are using iCalendar, please see the next question]

1) Only Sync One Calendar at a Time

Make sure you are only attempting to sync one calendar with Navigate, so if you have two calendars for the same account, choose only one of those calendars. The platform cannot handle multiple calendar syncs and this may cause errors.

2) Only Sync Your Calendar with the Live Site

Do not sync your calendar in the Training site. Users should only sync their calendar with the Production site. Attempting to sync both Training and Production will cause issue

3) Check the Type of Appointment

Calendars only sync Busy or Tentative times from your professional calendar. Any calendar appointment that is marked as ‘Free’ or ‘Private’ will not sync over. Outlook’s default meeting status is ‘busy’. The exception is all-day events, which by default are marked as ‘free’. If you mark yourself as busy in your calendar, this will override your Navigate availability. For this reason, make sure to have the appropriate status in outlook (busy when you intend to be busy, free when you intend to be available).

My iCalendar isn’t syncing correctly.

Please be aware that syncing to iCal rather than Outlook is a one-way sync. That means that appointments created in Navigate will be automatically added to the iCal calendar, but Navigate will not be able to read the iCal calendar, so it can't automatically block off the times that are marked as busy there. If you want to have two-way sync, you would need to use Outlook as your primary calendar (Outlook is accessible on a Mac via your browser or via the Mac version of Outlook).

Why can't I cancel my appointment in Navigate?

An appointment created in Navigate should be cancelled in Navigate. An appointment created through your professional calendar should likewise be cancelled through the calendar itself.

Why can't I cancel my appointment in my professional calendar?

The appointment was probably created in Navigate. If an appointment is created in Navigate, you must cancel it in Navigate.

Can students see my whole calendar?

No. Students can only see whether or not you are available at a particular time. They cannot access your full calendar outside of availability blocks, or see any of the details of meetings on your calendar.

Who can book an appointment?

If you set up availability in the Faculty Office Hours Care Unit, then anyone can schedule an appointment with you. This was set up so that students wanting to take a course with you, do research, or explore major/careers interest can go to your office hours via appointment or drop-in and ask you questions. 

If you set up availability in another Care Unit, e.g. Academic Advising, then only advisees can schedule an appointment with you during that availability block.

How many availabilities can I have?

You can have as many as you want. For example, you can set up drop-in appointments Monday through Thursday and virtual appointment only on Fridays. This would be two separate availabilities in Navigate.

What does it mean when availability is listed as inactive and is highlighted in red?

This happens when the availability is set for a time period in the past and has expired. For example, if you set an availability for October 1 to October 15 and today is October 16, the availability is inactive.

You can always reactivate an availability by selecting Edit for the availability on the My Availability tab and change the time period to a current time.

I have active availability, but students are still unable to schedule with me. Why?

There are a variety of reasons students can't schedule. Common scenarios include the following:

• Student doesn't have permission to schedule appointments (e.g. because your availability is in the Academic Advising Care Unit, and the student is not your advisee).
    • The Location and Service combination the student chose isn’t included in your Availability (make sure to include all the services that apply to you when you create an Availability).
    • You have a calendar conflict during the time slot they want.
    • The student can't schedule because of appointment restrictions based on student category or major.
    • Your availability for the time slot is drop-in only.

How do I generate a link for my virtual appointments?

Go to https://winthrop-edu.zoom.us/.

Select Schedule a meeting.  Give it a title (e.g. Virtual Office Hours) and select Recurring meeting". As the recurrence option, please select No fixed time. If you do not wish for students to use a passcode to get into the meeting, please de-select Passcode. It is recommended that you use the waiting room. Select Save.

This will generate a link for you that you can add to the URL field or additional information field in Navigate. When students book an appointment with you, they will receive this link. If you chose a password, please include this in the additional information field, along with any other instructions.

Do I get a notification when a student books an appointment with me?

No. The appointment will be added to your Outlook calendar (if you have set up calendar sync), and you will get whatever reminders you have set up in Outlook (the default is a notification 15 minutes before any scheduled meeting). You can see all/only the appointments scheduled with you via Navigate by clicking on the Appointments tab on your Staff Home Page. If you have not set up calendar sync, the Appointments tab will be the only place for you to see appointments scheduled via Navigate.

If I have a scheduled appointment, will other students be able to just drop in?

No. Even if you have selected both appointments and drop-ins as options for a particular Availability block, once a student schedules an appointment that time will be removed from your available drop-in times.

Students cannot schedule appointments with me.

Check Your Availability. For students to be able to actively schedule for a service and location there need to be staff members with availability set up that matches the two choices made by the student. To check if availabilities exist, open Staff Home and look at your current availabilities, located on the My Availability tab. If you notice any availabilities highlighted in red - those may be inactive. Update your availabilities to ensure you have time set for the exact services and locations in which the student is trying to schedule.

Can I Schedule 5-10 Minute Breaks Between 30 Minute Appointments with My Availability?

By default appointments are 30 minutes long. You could put in your ‘Special instructions’ for your Availability that “appointments will be 25 min long”, so the student would know the appointment would be from 12-12:25, for example, and then you would have a 5 minute break.

How close to the appointment time can students schedule a new appointment?

12 hours.

Can students view their own appointment summaries?

At this time, students cannot see appointment summaries.

Can I create ad-hoc summary reports for appointments that were scheduled in Navigate?

No! When you create an ad-hoc summary report, the platform creates a corresponding appointment on your calendar in the past. If you create ad-hoc summary reports for already scheduled appointments, you are essentially scheduling this appointment twice. Double-counting appointments will significantly skew the reporting data in the platform and make it more difficult to review your past appointments. If your appointment was scheduled in advance, you should only be adding Summary Reports to that appointment, rather than creating an ad-hoc report.

Can an appointment summary be marked as private?
    No, it will be visible to those with permissions to view the summary report, including those within your areas and care unit. 

How is my professional e-mail captured by Navigate?

By default, Navigate tracks the e-mail messages sent from the Staff platform. These messages become part of the recipient’s profile, viewable on the Conversations tab. Replies are also captured, as long as the recipient replies to the original e-mail rather than starting a new e-mail thread. If the student sends you a new e-mail in their student e-mail account rather than replying to a Navigate thread (or starting a new thread within Navigate), then this conversation will not be available in Navigate. Therefore, conversations that would be potentially useful for other members of the student’s success team to access (course recommendations/plans, referrals to other offices, case/alert resolutions, career planning/advice, etc) should be sent through Navigate whenever possible, while conversations such as class assignments and reminders don’t need to be tracked and would be more appropriate to send through Blackboard or the class listserv as you have done in the past.

When I send an e-mail or text to multiple students at once, will they know that it was a mass message? 

No. The e-mail or text look like they were only sent to that one student. The student cannot see other student names or e-mails, and if they reply to the message it will only go to you.

Where are the messages sent to the Navigate platform saved?

The messages will be saved in both Navigate and your e-mail account. 

What happens if the student texts a response to me?

Short answer: This will come through as an e-mail in Navigate and in the Outlook e-mail system.

In the case that you send a text message to a student, and they reply, that text message will be converted to an email. You can reply to the email directly in outlook. The reply will automatically be directed back to Navigate where it will convert it to a text message and send it by text to the student. The student can reply again, and the process will repeat.

The only exception is that if you are texting 100 or more students, then they will not be able to reply. They receive a message explaining that text message replies sent to this number are undeliverable. You can explain this in the original SMS to prevent students replying to the short code.

Will I receive any texts or e-mails on my personal cell phone?

No, you will not.

Can Navigate text international phone numbers?

The system does not officially support texting international/non-US phone numbers although it may sometimes work depending on the country. If the text can’t go through to a particular number, then the student will receive the message via e-mail instead.

Who can access alerts?

You can see the alerts you have issued as well as any alerts that are assigned to you. The student’s advisor(s) can also see the alert, as can anybody with higher-level student access, such as department chairs, deans, and student services personnel.

Please note that any information entered into Navigate regarding a student becomes a part of their official student record and may be subpoenaed by that student, as outlined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Can I edit alerts?

No, it is not possible to edit alerts once submitted.

What happens if an alert is submitted for a specific course and the student then drops that course?

The alert stays on the profile, but the course is no longer associated with the alert.

How are cases assigned?

It depends on the alert reason you have chosen. At the bottom of the quick start guide, you can find more information about who is assigned to each case type.

How do I close a case?

Select Cases on the left side menu. Open the Manage Case dialog. Click Close Case. Assign an outcome to the Case.

Can other users view the To-Dos that I have added to a student’s profile?

No, other users only see the To-Dos that they have added to that student’s profile, and the ones that are assigned to groups of students by an administrator (registration deadlines, etc).

What happens if I was an advisor in previous terms but have no students assigned to me in the current term?

You will still have the Advisor Role in Navigate, so you will still have a Staff Home Page, but if you have no students assigned to you then none will be listed on that home page (you do not continue to have access to former advisees). You will still be able to see your saved Lists and the student names that you saved to those Lists, but you will no longer be able to click through to the students’ profiles unless you have an additional Role that grants you that access. Likewise your Saved Searches will still be saved to your account, but if you don’t have an additional role granting you access to non-advisee students, then those searches will return zero results.

How do I find students enrolled in my courses?

If you are a faculty member who is teaching a course in the current term, the Students In My Classes table gives you a quick and easy way to see and interact with all of the students in your classes. In the main student grid, you will notice several key pieces of information next to each student’s name: Category and Course.

Step 1: Log into Navigate

Option 1: Wingspan under Employee Tools

Option 2: https://winthrop.campus.eab.com

It is recommend that you bookmark Navigate for future easy access.

Step 2: If you do not automatically see ''Professor Home'', switch over from Staff Home to Professor Home. Toggle over to Professor home by selecting the small triangle next to Staff Home.

Step 3: The students enrolled in your classes will be listed under 'Students in My Courses''. Take action on students in your classes by checking the box in front of their name and selecting the Actions menu. Common actions include sending messages, issuing alerts, or creating notes.

How is a student list different from a saved search?
    A saved search is a dynamic, saved set of parameters. Each time you run a saved search, it will return the set of students who currently meet those parameters. For example, if you create a saved search for freshmen, the list of students who return for that saved search a year later will be different than at the time of its creation, as many of the freshmen will no longer be in that classification.

A student list, on the other hand, is a static list of students, saved by their student ID, and the list of students will remain the same over time. 

Can I change my profile picture?

Yes. On the home page, select Upload a Profile PictureCan I change my profile picture?

Is there a syllabus insert about Navigate that I can use?

Yes! Please feel free to use the blurbs below:

Navigate

Navigate Student makes it easier by helping you discover and connect with the right people and resources. Use features like appointment scheduling, to-do’s, class schedule, resources and much more. You can download the Navigate Student app from your device’s app store. You can also access the web version here: https://winthrop.navigate.eab.com/

How to make an appointment with me

Schedule an appointment with me here: INSERT YOUR AVAILABILITY LINK HERE. You can find available time slots for appointments and/or drop-ins (CHANGE ACCORDING TO YOUR PREFERENCE) in Navigate.

Study Buddies

Find classmates who are interested in group study and access their contact information directly in the Navigate app. First, you opt in to Study Buddies for the courses you would like help in. Once other students have opted into Study Buddies, select the names of the students you want to contact. You will be directed to email these students.

Resources

See a list of important services and locations on campus in the Navigate app, like academic support, health and wellness, and places to eat (sometimes with a student discount). The People tab will show you a list of your assigned staff, such as your advisor. Click the heart icon to favorite a resource.