Counseling Services

Meet the Counseling Staff

Headshot of Kwabena SankofaKwabena Sankofa, MS, EdS, PhD

Training Coordinator, Staff Counselor

(he.him.his)

My love for counseling is manifold.  I enjoy helping students to confront and overcome their disabling academic and emotional life challenges thus enabling them to graduate with their self-created inclinations to fulfill their professional and life's goals.  I relish the special expression on students' faces when they achieve an in-the-moment enlightenment and complete self-awareness of the problems that have long undermined their emotional health — "I finally got it."  I just love it when my clients are about to graduate or have graduated and communicate their appreciation for the help their therapy sessions have provided them.  In counseling, I use Analytical, Narrative & Person-Centered Therapies.  I find it particularly enriching designing mental health-related intervention programs and working on policy development.  I recently discovered that training and supervision at times rival individual therapy as one of my top five professional interests. 

Headshot of Jessica HudgensJess[ica] Hudgens, MA, LPC, NCC

Outreach Coordinator, Staff Counselor

(she/they)

I received my Bachelor’s in History and Psychology from Winthrop University (Go Eagles!) and graduated from Appalachian State University in 2016 with a Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and graduate certificates in Expressive Arts Therapy and Systemic Multicultural Counseling. I recognize what a risk it is to seek help for something you’re struggling with and do my best to create a space and relationship where students are comfortable sharing and sitting with difficult things. My practice is heavily influenced by Relational, Cultural, and Narrative theories and draws on practices from Dialectical, Cognitive, and Neurodiversity Affirming frameworks. I frequently utilize the expressive arts (including visual arts, writing, music, and movement) in my work with students. I love the arts for their ability to both expose and contain our pain and messiness.

I love working with students of all different backgrounds and abilities and have particular interest in working with those students struggling with concerns surrounding eating and body image, self-harm and suicide, and neurodivergence (especially ADHD and autism). 

Headshot of Veronica RectorVeronica Rector, MEd, LPC

Diversity & Inclusion Coordinator, Staff Counselor

(she.her.hers)

I completed my Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling at Winthrop University in 2016. Through my work in both school-based settings and the SC Department of Mental Health, I have gained extensive experience working with people with severe mental health concerns, including bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and trauma. My practice integrates elements of narrative, rational emotive, and cognitive behavioral therapies. I am excited to be working at Winthrop and with students who are seeking to improve themselves and their college experience. I believe everyone’s story is important and unique, I am passionate about providing an accepting and affirming space for students to heal.

Bry-Anne Jones photo

Bry-Anne E. Jones, MSW, LISW-CP, CCTP, ’01,’11

Clinical Supervisor, Student Advocacy and Trauma Support

(she.her.hers)

Student, Graduate student, Alumna, Police Officer, Victim’s advocate and now Clinical Supervisor for Student Advocacy and Trauma Support, I have had many roles and titles at Winthrop University and I am proud of them all. Every one of them has led me to my current position and for that I am grateful. I get the opportunity to serve individuals that have experienced sexual assault, domestic and dating violence, stalking, and/or victims of crimes or discrimination based on bias in a clinical capacity. As a Victim services provider (SC) and a Certified Clinical Trauma Professional, my practice is influenced by Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Narrative Therapies, Brief Solution Focused Therapy and Trauma Informed Care. My professional goal is to work myself out of a job by assisting survivors with developing the tools they need to thrive in the aftermath of traumatic events.

Headshot of Jackie ConcodoraJackie Concodora, M.Ed., LPC

Director of Center for Student Wellness

(she.her.hers)